BHP Starts Move to Brookfield Place Tower, Biggest Office Relocation in WA History
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 25, 2012 5:30 PM EST
BHP Billiton (ASX: BHP) is making Western Australian history by moving headquarters to Brookfield Place Tower. With 3,000 BHP employees, the relocation is the state's largest office transfer in its history.
The mining giant will occupy 34 of the building's 45 floors. Brookfield Place, located along St George's Terrace, is behind Central Park in Perth and is the city's second tallest building.
Despite its height at 234 metres, the BHP employees would take only about 30 seconds to scale the edifice through its glass lift that offers a north view of the city.
The move would place in one location the 3,000 BHP staff who are currently scattered in 21 offices throughout the city. BHP said the transfer started Monday and is expected to be completed by the third quarter of 2012.
A team of 85 removal experts are working 24 hours a day to facilitate the transfer. They delivered 3,000 crates and 900 computers of the employees.
Despite the consolidation of employees in their new headquarters, BHP's head office in Melbourne will remain open.
To ensure the BHP workers are happy and would not be pirated by other mining firms, the company provided an outdoor terrace with barbecues and benches made of recycled materials. There is also a Fitness First gym and child care centre within the building.
At the 45th level, the topmost floor, there is a mixed-used area ideal for meals, lounging, and even for working quietly since it is designed to block out external noise. The edifice boasts of a level five Green Star energy ratings partly made possible by its extensive use of natural light because of the glass structure.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28