Microsoft Surface vs. iPad 3 vs. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1: Which is the Best Tablet?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | June 21, 2012 9:15 AM EST
The tablet wars is really on for three rival companies. Apple's iPad remained on the top spot since its introduction in 2010. Apple holds the largest share in the tablet market. Samsung and Microsoft can be considered as underdogs in the industry as they do both do not have a concrete market for their tablets.
With a lot of choices for tablets in the market, which is the best among these three devices? Below is the comparison of the flagship tablet of the three companies.
Apple made its design famous following Steve Jobs' minimalist design in all of its iOS devices. Samsung's Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, on the other hand, have changed its design compared to its predecessor to avoid another legal battle with Apple. The new Galaxy Tab round edges and the whole device has an added grey/silver bezel round the outside. Microsoft Surface seems like a hybrid of a tablet and a laptop when it comes to its design. It has a light yet sturdy magnesium case for protection.
iPad 3 introduced the Retina display, with a 2048x1536 resolution on a 9.7-inch screen, while the Galaxy Tab 2 has a 1280x800 resolution on the 10.1-inch display. The iPad has 246 ppi, while the Galaxy Tab 2 has almost half - 149 ppi. Microsoft Surface Tablet will have a 10.6 inches touchscreen with a 16:9 aspect ratio. In this aspect, iPad 3 is way ahead of its competitors.
The new iPad of Apple features a new processor chip called the A5X, which has quad core graphics. Thus, the device is four times faster than its nearest rival, the Nvidia Tegra 3 chip. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 2 is fitted with a dual core 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 processor, which is the same components of other tablets in the market. Although not really revolutionary, the processor fares well in navigating the Android platform. Microsoft Surface Tablet will have an ARM based version as well as Intel Mobile Processor and Nvidia Tegra 3.
Apple's iPad 3 is equipped with the iOS 5, which can be updated upon the release of iOS 6 later this year. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is equipped with Android's Ice Cream Sandwich. Microsoft Surface sports Microsoft's latest Windows operating system - Windows 8.
Apple's iPad 3 camera system is the best among the three tablets. The device borrowed some of the features of its brother gadget - iPhone. iPad 3 is equipped with a 5-megapixel backlight-illuminated sensor (BSI), stabilisation for both video and still images, 1080p video recording and both autofocus and auto-exposure. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.2 has 3.15MP camera that can capture 1080p HD videos. The camera system is 2048x1536 pixels and has a LED flash alongside autofocus and geo-tagging. Lastly, there is no confirmation whether Microsoft Surface Tablet would have a camera or not.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast