Asian Heart Institute (AHI) in Mumbai Ranked Safest Cardiac Hospital in the World
By Aditi Mathur | June 14, 2012 8:54 PM EST
Mumbai's well-known Asian Heart Institute (AHI), Bandra, has been named the "safest cardiac hospital in the world" with lowest mortality, by the Joint Commission International (JCI), an international healthcare organization.
At least 15 hospitals across eight countries in Asia, Europe and America participated in the JCI's survey of International Cardiac Benchmarking (ICSB), which analyzed the data of more than 6000 cardiac surgeries from Oct 2009 till March 2011.
After a detailed three year study, AHI has been ranked number one in terms of "lowest complication rates" and the "highest survival rates," according to the statement.
"This is an honor for us. We have consistently ranked lower on mortality rate than the United States' Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) average of 2.7. Our mortality rate, including non-cardiac deaths has been 0.4 percent for the last 9 years," AHI's vice chairman and managing director Ramakant Panda said, acknowledging the certification.
"At 1500 surgeries per year, we have operated on patients from 38 countries last year. The whole team at Asian heart is proud of this achievement and we will work harder towards the same," Dr. Panda said.
The certification was based on the following parameters- data capture on a daily basis on the surgeries conducted and reported; secondly, the quality of care provided to the patients, and thirdly, the verification visit cooperation to Principals.
According to the detailed analysis of the 15 heart hospitals, AHI performed the most number of bypass surgeries (CABGs), even on the patients older than the age of 65-years.
In addition, the percentage of valve surgeries on females, redo bypass surgeries and aortic valve replacements performed at AHI are higher than the benchmark set by ICSB.
Moreover, the complication rates and the number of patients requiring blood transfusion was much lesser, hence the mortality rates at AHI were much lower than the benchmarks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Meatspace': Lamb Chop Sent Into Space Returns To Earth [Watch Video]
- Dinosaur Discovery 2014: New Dinosaur Species Found Inside A Canadian Museum
- Scientists Make Astonishing Discovery Of An Invisible Shield Protecting Earth From Devastation--Report
- Australians Could Expect To See 30-40 Meteors An Hour During Geminid Shower On Dec 13-14
- "Secret Space Programme": UFO Conspiracy Theorists Believe That NASA Is In Constant Touch With Aliens
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones