Asian Heart Institute (AHI) in Mumbai Ranked Safest Cardiac Hospital in the World
By Aditi Mathur | June 14, 2012 8:54 PM EST
Mumbai's well-known Asian Heart Institute (AHI), Bandra, has been named the "safest cardiac hospital in the world" with lowest mortality, by the Joint Commission International (JCI), an international healthcare organization.
At least 15 hospitals across eight countries in Asia, Europe and America participated in the JCI's survey of International Cardiac Benchmarking (ICSB), which analyzed the data of more than 6000 cardiac surgeries from Oct 2009 till March 2011.
After a detailed three year study, AHI has been ranked number one in terms of "lowest complication rates" and the "highest survival rates," according to the statement.
"This is an honor for us. We have consistently ranked lower on mortality rate than the United States' Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) average of 2.7. Our mortality rate, including non-cardiac deaths has been 0.4 percent for the last 9 years," AHI's vice chairman and managing director Ramakant Panda said, acknowledging the certification.
"At 1500 surgeries per year, we have operated on patients from 38 countries last year. The whole team at Asian heart is proud of this achievement and we will work harder towards the same," Dr. Panda said.
The certification was based on the following parameters- data capture on a daily basis on the surgeries conducted and reported; secondly, the quality of care provided to the patients, and thirdly, the verification visit cooperation to Principals.
According to the detailed analysis of the 15 heart hospitals, AHI performed the most number of bypass surgeries (CABGs), even on the patients older than the age of 65-years.
In addition, the percentage of valve surgeries on females, redo bypass surgeries and aortic valve replacements performed at AHI are higher than the benchmark set by ICSB.
Moreover, the complication rates and the number of patients requiring blood transfusion was much lesser, hence the mortality rates at AHI were much lower than the benchmarks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]