Asian Heart Institute (AHI) in Mumbai Ranked Safest Cardiac Hospital in the World
By Aditi Mathur | June 14, 2012 8:54 PM EST
Mumbai's well-known Asian Heart Institute (AHI), Bandra, has been named the "safest cardiac hospital in the world" with lowest mortality, by the Joint Commission International (JCI), an international healthcare organization.
At least 15 hospitals across eight countries in Asia, Europe and America participated in the JCI's survey of International Cardiac Benchmarking (ICSB), which analyzed the data of more than 6000 cardiac surgeries from Oct 2009 till March 2011.
After a detailed three year study, AHI has been ranked number one in terms of "lowest complication rates" and the "highest survival rates," according to the statement.
"This is an honor for us. We have consistently ranked lower on mortality rate than the United States' Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) average of 2.7. Our mortality rate, including non-cardiac deaths has been 0.4 percent for the last 9 years," AHI's vice chairman and managing director Ramakant Panda said, acknowledging the certification.
"At 1500 surgeries per year, we have operated on patients from 38 countries last year. The whole team at Asian heart is proud of this achievement and we will work harder towards the same," Dr. Panda said.
The certification was based on the following parameters- data capture on a daily basis on the surgeries conducted and reported; secondly, the quality of care provided to the patients, and thirdly, the verification visit cooperation to Principals.
According to the detailed analysis of the 15 heart hospitals, AHI performed the most number of bypass surgeries (CABGs), even on the patients older than the age of 65-years.
In addition, the percentage of valve surgeries on females, redo bypass surgeries and aortic valve replacements performed at AHI are higher than the benchmark set by ICSB.
Moreover, the complication rates and the number of patients requiring blood transfusion was much lesser, hence the mortality rates at AHI were much lower than the benchmarks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October