Call Center Employee Gang-Raped, Lured By Fake Job Prospects
By ambrosia sabrina | June 14, 2012 3:49 PM EST
Delhi police on Tuesday have charged four men for raping a call centre employee at a factory located in South Delhi district.
Two of the accused, Suraj and Deepu have been arrested, while the other two are absconding. The victim, whose identity is undisclosed, revealed to the police that she was gang raped in an abandoned factory in Badarpur on Sunday.
According to the Times of India, the 24-year old woman came to south Delhi after getting a job at a call centre while husband stayed back in Bawana, a northwest district of the capital.
During her stay there, the victim met Suraj, one of the accused, who convinced her about another job with a good pay packet.
"He apparently flaunted his connections and told her he knew many senior officials in call centres in Mohan Co-operative Industrial Area. He told her that she was getting paid very less and he would help her double her salary. Lured by better career prospects, the woman got trapped," a source in Delhi Police said according to the publication.
The woman was then told that the interview would be conducted in a factory. Around afternoon, Suraj accompanied her to the deserted spot where the other three co-conspirators were waiting. One after the other, the four men raped the woman and shot threats at her if she dared raise a complaint against them.
Soon after, the victim made her way to Bawana and informed her husband about the incident. Too scared to act upon the incident, the couple kept mum until Tuesday, then they filed an FIR with the police who are now on the lookout for two of the accused.
The incident struck several similarities to another rape case which involved a 22-year-old woman who was raped by two men for several days during the time she was held hostage. The victim in this case was also lured by a friend into a fake job offer at Noida. The victim managed to escape from the accused duo and eventually filed a complaint with authorities.
Regarded as India's rape capital, Delhi is deemed an unsafe haven for women, with around 500 rape and molestation cases reported on an annual basis since 2009. According to National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), Delhi city accounts for 23 percent of Rape cases and 16.5 percent of Molestation cases among 35 Indian cities.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air