Scarlett Johansson, Ryan Gosling to Star in ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Adaptation?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | June 13, 2012 12:41 PM EST
Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Gosling are the top choices to play in the film adaptation of E.L. James erotic novel, "Fifty Shades of Grey."
Since Universal Pictures acquired the film rights for the book, there have been a lot of rumors on who will be playing the main characters in the film.
"American Psycho" writer, Bret Easton Ellis, put his hands up in writing the script of the film adaptation. According to Digital Spy, Bret said that he is willing to write the script and Christian Grey and Anastacia Steele have the potential to be cinematic characters.
He suggested that the 27-year-old actress is a perfect fit to play the female protagonist Anastacia Steele, a college graduate introduced in the world of BSDM by manipulative Christian Grey. He also said that both his top picks to play Ana are ScarJo and Kristen Stewart.
For the role of Christian Grey, he said that Ryan Gosling would be ideal for the role. Alex Pettyfer is also another pick to play the male role.
Bret has been tweeting about potential actors to play both male and female. The writer also said that Director David Cronenberg should be someone to go behind the helm and direct the film adaptation of "Fifty Shades of Grey." The two worked together in the movie "American Psycho."
"I think David Cronenberg is a great idea for directing... and we worked together on American Psycho in its initial phase," he said in one of his tweets.
"I really want to adapt her novels for the screen. Christian Grey is a writer's dream...," Bret quickly added.
Erotic novels writer E.L. James gets to approve of the script, director and the cast as part of her deal with Universal Pictures.
Scarlett Johansson, Kristen Stewart and Ryan Gosling are not the only names attached to the film adaptation. Angelina Jolie is rumored to be interested in directing the adaptation. There are other actors and actresses linked to play the lead roles in "Fifty Shades of Grey."
A lot of issues should be considered in developing the film. There are reports that the trilogy encouraged bondage, domination, sadomasochism and submissive sex among young adults.
"Fifty Shades of Grey" was a story developed from a Twilight fan fiction originally titled "Master of the Universe." At first, the piece featured characters named after Stephenie Meyer's characters in Twilight, Edward Cullen and Bella Swan.
However, after comments concerning the sexual nature of the material, James removed the story from the fanfiction websites and published it on her own website, FiftyShades.com. The author decided to rewrite the piece as an original piece with the principal characters renamed Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele and shortly prior to its publication withdrew the fan fiction version from her website for mass production.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS