Scarlett Johansson, Ryan Gosling to Star in ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Adaptation?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | June 13, 2012 12:41 PM EST
Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Gosling are the top choices to play in the film adaptation of E.L. James erotic novel, "Fifty Shades of Grey."
Since Universal Pictures acquired the film rights for the book, there have been a lot of rumors on who will be playing the main characters in the film.
"American Psycho" writer, Bret Easton Ellis, put his hands up in writing the script of the film adaptation. According to Digital Spy, Bret said that he is willing to write the script and Christian Grey and Anastacia Steele have the potential to be cinematic characters.
He suggested that the 27-year-old actress is a perfect fit to play the female protagonist Anastacia Steele, a college graduate introduced in the world of BSDM by manipulative Christian Grey. He also said that both his top picks to play Ana are ScarJo and Kristen Stewart.
For the role of Christian Grey, he said that Ryan Gosling would be ideal for the role. Alex Pettyfer is also another pick to play the male role.
Bret has been tweeting about potential actors to play both male and female. The writer also said that Director David Cronenberg should be someone to go behind the helm and direct the film adaptation of "Fifty Shades of Grey." The two worked together in the movie "American Psycho."
"I think David Cronenberg is a great idea for directing... and we worked together on American Psycho in its initial phase," he said in one of his tweets.
"I really want to adapt her novels for the screen. Christian Grey is a writer's dream...," Bret quickly added.
Erotic novels writer E.L. James gets to approve of the script, director and the cast as part of her deal with Universal Pictures.
Scarlett Johansson, Kristen Stewart and Ryan Gosling are not the only names attached to the film adaptation. Angelina Jolie is rumored to be interested in directing the adaptation. There are other actors and actresses linked to play the lead roles in "Fifty Shades of Grey."
A lot of issues should be considered in developing the film. There are reports that the trilogy encouraged bondage, domination, sadomasochism and submissive sex among young adults.
"Fifty Shades of Grey" was a story developed from a Twilight fan fiction originally titled "Master of the Universe." At first, the piece featured characters named after Stephenie Meyer's characters in Twilight, Edward Cullen and Bella Swan.
However, after comments concerning the sexual nature of the material, James removed the story from the fanfiction websites and published it on her own website, FiftyShades.com. The author decided to rewrite the piece as an original piece with the principal characters renamed Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele and shortly prior to its publication withdrew the fan fiction version from her website for mass production.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2