Scarlett Johansson, Ryan Gosling to Star in ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Adaptation?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | June 13, 2012 12:41 PM EST
Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Gosling are the top choices to play in the film adaptation of E.L. James erotic novel, "Fifty Shades of Grey."
Since Universal Pictures acquired the film rights for the book, there have been a lot of rumors on who will be playing the main characters in the film.
"American Psycho" writer, Bret Easton Ellis, put his hands up in writing the script of the film adaptation. According to Digital Spy, Bret said that he is willing to write the script and Christian Grey and Anastacia Steele have the potential to be cinematic characters.
He suggested that the 27-year-old actress is a perfect fit to play the female protagonist Anastacia Steele, a college graduate introduced in the world of BSDM by manipulative Christian Grey. He also said that both his top picks to play Ana are ScarJo and Kristen Stewart.
For the role of Christian Grey, he said that Ryan Gosling would be ideal for the role. Alex Pettyfer is also another pick to play the male role.
Bret has been tweeting about potential actors to play both male and female. The writer also said that Director David Cronenberg should be someone to go behind the helm and direct the film adaptation of "Fifty Shades of Grey." The two worked together in the movie "American Psycho."
"I think David Cronenberg is a great idea for directing... and we worked together on American Psycho in its initial phase," he said in one of his tweets.
"I really want to adapt her novels for the screen. Christian Grey is a writer's dream...," Bret quickly added.
Erotic novels writer E.L. James gets to approve of the script, director and the cast as part of her deal with Universal Pictures.
Scarlett Johansson, Kristen Stewart and Ryan Gosling are not the only names attached to the film adaptation. Angelina Jolie is rumored to be interested in directing the adaptation. There are other actors and actresses linked to play the lead roles in "Fifty Shades of Grey."
A lot of issues should be considered in developing the film. There are reports that the trilogy encouraged bondage, domination, sadomasochism and submissive sex among young adults.
"Fifty Shades of Grey" was a story developed from a Twilight fan fiction originally titled "Master of the Universe." At first, the piece featured characters named after Stephenie Meyer's characters in Twilight, Edward Cullen and Bella Swan.
However, after comments concerning the sexual nature of the material, James removed the story from the fanfiction websites and published it on her own website, FiftyShades.com. The author decided to rewrite the piece as an original piece with the principal characters renamed Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele and shortly prior to its publication withdrew the fan fiction version from her website for mass production.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff