How I Met Your Mother Season 8: Who’s Ready to Say Goodbye?
By Arlene Paredes | June 12, 2012 4:48 PM EST
How I Met Your Mother co-creator Carter Bays recently told The Hollywood Reporter he was not expecting the hit sitcom to last beyond Season 4, but now they couldn't figure out yet whether the eighth season would be the last. Are the producers ready to say goodbye to the show?
"We know how we want to end it. Midway through the first season, we had an idea of, 'OK, this will be a cool ending for the story,' thinking it will be a good ending for season four when the show gets canceled. We didn't expect it to go this long," Bays said.
Ted Mosby ready to meet 'mother?'
In an interview last month, Bays noted the end of Season 7 has put Ted Mosby in a really good place - right where he is ready for a new chapter.
"(N)ow we're getting to the fun stuff of the show," Bays told Matt Noble in an interview with Television Awards Blog. "It's hard not to be excited by that."
For his part, co-creator Craig Thomas has hinted the creative team would appreciate an early notice if Season 8 would be the last season because they have big plans for the last season. Right now, they have designed Season 8 as if it would just be another season.
Cast contracts expiring
Meanwhile, most of the cast have expiring contracts at the end of Season 8. As long as they have not sat down for negotiations, there is no telling whether the gang would be up for Season 9 this early.
At least one of the cast sounded unwilling to say goodbye just yet.
"You would think, at this point, we would be figuring out a way to end this... But we seem to be doing better than we ever have, so we will continue as long as everybody wants us to," Cobie Smulders (playing Robin Scherbatsky) said in an interview.
Leave while on top
With improved ratings last season, CBS bosses, the producers and the cast are still wondering whether it's time to show the 'mother' already, or watch Ted Mosby date her for at least an entire season before capping the sitcom. The question is: Wouldn't it be great to leave while you're on top of your game?
The showrunners and cast could be optimistic and think, the fans might show an even stronger interest next season. But for a sitcom that is called "How I Met Your Mother," eight seasons seem more than enough. Exiting high at the end of eighth season should be the top concern now.
It does show, however, that HIMYM's avid fans are not ready to say goodbye, just yet. Then again, who was ready in 2004 when 'Friends' said goodbye after 10 years?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate