Liverpool Manager News: Mourinho Praises Rodgers' Appointment
By Vishnuprasad S | June 1, 2012 4:42 PM EST
Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho said he was very happy with the appointment of Brendan Rodgers as Liverpool manager. The two worked together at Chelsea and the Portuguese tactician believes his former reserve team coach deserved a shot at Anfield after an "amazing" job at Swansea City.
"I am very happy with his appointment at Liverpool, especially because he did it as a consequence of all his amazing work at Swansea. Brendan is a good man, a family guy and a friend. When he joined us at Chelsea he was a young coach with lots of desire to learn, but he was also a coach with ideas, who was ready not just to listen but also to communicate and share," the BBC quoted Mourinho as saying.
Rodgers left Chelsea in 2008 to take charge of Watford. The 39 year old also had a stint at Reading before moving to Swansea in 2010 and guiding the Welsh club to the English top flight.
Meanwhile, Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina has revealed he favoured Rafael Benitez as the club's next manager. The Spaniard said he, along with several teammates were backing the re-appointment of the former manager.
"For many of my colleagues and me, Rafa Benitez would be the ideal candidate. It's that I'm not objective about it, but he is the coach who shaped me most. He is the best," the Daily Mirror quoted the 29 year old as saying.
Reina's comments have sparked off rumours that Rodgers' first task as manager will be to win over the Reds' dressing room. The northern Irishman is expected to be unveiled as the new boss soon.
Finally, it is being suggested Rodgers could raid his former club when he moves to Anfield. The Swans' star player from last year - on loan midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson, centre-back Ashley Williams and winger Scott Sinclair - may now be on their way to Merseyside.
Incidentally, Sigurdsson was thought to be close to signing a permanent deal at the Liberty Stadium after Swansea issued a statement earlier this week saying they had agreed terms with the player and his parent club Hoffenheim. However, the Bundesliga club has reacted angrily to the claims, saying no contract had been signed as yet, the Telegraph reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal