‘Doom 3 BFG Edition’ Brings 3D Display To The Entire Series This Fall [TRAILER]
By Lisa Eadicicco | May 31, 2012 3:45 AM EST
Bethesda Softworks has just announced the "Doom 3 BFG Edition," which compiles the entire series into one release. The collection, developed by id Software, will include the original "Doom" as well as "Doom 2," "Doom 3," "Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil" and the "Lost Mission."
Bethesda, also responsible for the widely-popular franchise "The Elder Scrolls," announced on May 30 that the new release will include re-mastered content for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles. The graphics will be redone in "stunning 3-D for an even more terrifying FPS experience," according to Bethesda Blog.
The release date and price have yet to be announced, but the package will also include updated controls and additional missions in the "Lost Mission." The revamped re-release could be an attempt to allure gamers back into the first-person-shooter franchise, which is now almost two decades old, as The Verge speculates.
"It will be a suitable introduction to the series for new adopters," the tech news website writes. "Or, perhaps, as a foot in the door for a new installment."
In addition to receiving 3-D treatment, "Doom 3," "Resurrection of Evil," and "The Lost Mission" will feature 5.1 surround sound, improved rendering and lighting, and a new check-point save system. Technical Director for id Software John Carmack said that the game has been redone in more depth than ever before.
"Doom 3 was enthusiastically embraced by gamers worldwide at its release," he said in a press release published by Joystiq. "Today, the full experience has been enhanced and extended to be better than ever, and is delivered across all the platforms with a silky smooth frame rate and highly responsive controls."
Carmack also added that new support for 3D TVs, monitors and head-mounted displays will be featured in the new set, giving gamers "more depth than ever before."
"We think shooter fans everywhere will love it," he said.
The true question is whether or not this newly redesigned package will be enough to compete with other heavyweight names in the genre. This holiday season will see other big-name shooters such as "Halo 4" and "Call of Duty: Black Ops 2." Although the "Doom" franchise takes more of the horror sci-fi route than its competitors, if id Software plans to launch this set around November, it is sure to be met with some stiff competition.
Check out the trailer below to get a preview of the new features that the "Doom 3 BFG" release will boast.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28