‘Doom 3 BFG Edition’ Brings 3D Display To The Entire Series This Fall [TRAILER]
By Lisa Eadicicco | May 31, 2012 3:45 AM EST
Bethesda Softworks has just announced the "Doom 3 BFG Edition," which compiles the entire series into one release. The collection, developed by id Software, will include the original "Doom" as well as "Doom 2," "Doom 3," "Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil" and the "Lost Mission."
Bethesda, also responsible for the widely-popular franchise "The Elder Scrolls," announced on May 30 that the new release will include re-mastered content for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles. The graphics will be redone in "stunning 3-D for an even more terrifying FPS experience," according to Bethesda Blog.
The release date and price have yet to be announced, but the package will also include updated controls and additional missions in the "Lost Mission." The revamped re-release could be an attempt to allure gamers back into the first-person-shooter franchise, which is now almost two decades old, as The Verge speculates.
"It will be a suitable introduction to the series for new adopters," the tech news website writes. "Or, perhaps, as a foot in the door for a new installment."
In addition to receiving 3-D treatment, "Doom 3," "Resurrection of Evil," and "The Lost Mission" will feature 5.1 surround sound, improved rendering and lighting, and a new check-point save system. Technical Director for id Software John Carmack said that the game has been redone in more depth than ever before.
"Doom 3 was enthusiastically embraced by gamers worldwide at its release," he said in a press release published by Joystiq. "Today, the full experience has been enhanced and extended to be better than ever, and is delivered across all the platforms with a silky smooth frame rate and highly responsive controls."
Carmack also added that new support for 3D TVs, monitors and head-mounted displays will be featured in the new set, giving gamers "more depth than ever before."
"We think shooter fans everywhere will love it," he said.
The true question is whether or not this newly redesigned package will be enough to compete with other heavyweight names in the genre. This holiday season will see other big-name shooters such as "Halo 4" and "Call of Duty: Black Ops 2." Although the "Doom" franchise takes more of the horror sci-fi route than its competitors, if id Software plans to launch this set around November, it is sure to be met with some stiff competition.
Check out the trailer below to get a preview of the new features that the "Doom 3 BFG" release will boast.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- 'World Of Warcraft’ Brings Back The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff From Sept. 2-16, 2014 After ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition': Romancing Solas, Morrigan's Human Side And Dragon Age Keep User Interface
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display