Euro Falls Near 2-Year Lows
May 29, 2012 10:12 PM EST
(Reuters) - The euro slipped against the dollar Tuesday, edging closer to two-year lows as investors and speculators sold the common currency on persistent worries over Spain's escalating borrowing costs and its weakening banking sector.
Worries about the cost of shoring up Spain's banking system kept Spanish debt yields elevated while the gap between them and German 10-year yields remained near euro era highs, as the risk grew that Spain may be forced to seek an international bailout.
The euro traded at $1.2530, off a day high of $1.2575 as demand from corporates and Middle East names faded.
Having failed to clear resistance at previous support around $1.2625 for three days in a row, the euro was vulnerable to another test of Friday's low of $1.2495, which marked its weakest level since July 2010. Bids just below $1.25 could offer some support, though further losses could see it drop towards $1.2450, where traders reported stop-loss sell orders.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]