Euro Falls Near 2-Year Lows
May 29, 2012 10:12 PM EST
(Reuters) - The euro slipped against the dollar Tuesday, edging closer to two-year lows as investors and speculators sold the common currency on persistent worries over Spain's escalating borrowing costs and its weakening banking sector.
Worries about the cost of shoring up Spain's banking system kept Spanish debt yields elevated while the gap between them and German 10-year yields remained near euro era highs, as the risk grew that Spain may be forced to seek an international bailout.
The euro traded at $1.2530, off a day high of $1.2575 as demand from corporates and Middle East names faded.
Having failed to clear resistance at previous support around $1.2625 for three days in a row, the euro was vulnerable to another test of Friday's low of $1.2495, which marked its weakest level since July 2010. Bids just below $1.25 could offer some support, though further losses could see it drop towards $1.2450, where traders reported stop-loss sell orders.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers