'Spring Breakers' Rave Reviews: Fans Love Selena Gomez’s’ Edgier Role
By Diadem Pambid | May 29, 2012 1:27 PM EST
Selena Gomez is no longer the cute and quirky Disney princess. In Selena's new film, "Spring Breakers" that is.
The 19-year old actress has ditched all the necessary clothes for a neon blue bikini and Selena gets into more trouble than the usual. The film is set for a 2013 release but the raves are already pouring in.
"Spring Breakers" is definitely a far cry from Selena Gomez's squeaky clean image in "Wizards of Waverly Place". However, to take on such a racy role is one bold move for the 19-year old actress. Apart from parading around in a teeny bikini, Selena gets involved in burglary, drugs and booze. Gomez even had to someone to teach her how to smoke in preparation for the role.
"I'd never smoked a cigarette before in my entire life," shared Selena. "It was really funny - they had to show me how to do it."
While others may have doubted Selena's acting skills, the preview of the film released at the Cannes Film Festival will be enough to convince anyone at how incredibly talented Gomez is.
"I was getting kind of repetitive in terms of the roles I was picking, and I really wanted to do something that was completely different," explained Gomez on her racy role.
As for "Spring Breakers", the film rated well with film critics and raves have already poured in. Numerous tweets about the film caused a fan frenzy as well which equally means a whopping amount of money by the time "Spring Breakers" hits the big screen in 2013.
"The best thing I've seen so far in Cannes: the outdoor movie Harmony Korine, Spring Breakers, alongside Tarantino movie. Harm is back!" Another wrote, "We saw a few minutes. Struck me see Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens in such extreme scenes for the film from Korine," tweeted one film reviewer.
"The craziest movie of 2013? To be a Harmony Korine movie with theft, lesbian scenes, and punk. And James Franco with gold teeth," tweeted the reviewer, not holding back on any film spoilers.
Fans will have to wait until 2013 before they see the bikini-clad, Selena Gomez in action. As for Gomez's other film projects, the 19-year old was spotted last month in Bulgaria shooting scenes for her action-pumped flick, "The Getaway" with Ethan Hawke.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch