'Spring Breakers' Rave Reviews: Fans Love Selena Gomez’s’ Edgier Role
By Diadem Pambid | May 29, 2012 1:27 PM EST
Selena Gomez is no longer the cute and quirky Disney princess. In Selena's new film, "Spring Breakers" that is.
The 19-year old actress has ditched all the necessary clothes for a neon blue bikini and Selena gets into more trouble than the usual. The film is set for a 2013 release but the raves are already pouring in.
"Spring Breakers" is definitely a far cry from Selena Gomez's squeaky clean image in "Wizards of Waverly Place". However, to take on such a racy role is one bold move for the 19-year old actress. Apart from parading around in a teeny bikini, Selena gets involved in burglary, drugs and booze. Gomez even had to someone to teach her how to smoke in preparation for the role.
"I'd never smoked a cigarette before in my entire life," shared Selena. "It was really funny - they had to show me how to do it."
While others may have doubted Selena's acting skills, the preview of the film released at the Cannes Film Festival will be enough to convince anyone at how incredibly talented Gomez is.
"I was getting kind of repetitive in terms of the roles I was picking, and I really wanted to do something that was completely different," explained Gomez on her racy role.
As for "Spring Breakers", the film rated well with film critics and raves have already poured in. Numerous tweets about the film caused a fan frenzy as well which equally means a whopping amount of money by the time "Spring Breakers" hits the big screen in 2013.
"The best thing I've seen so far in Cannes: the outdoor movie Harmony Korine, Spring Breakers, alongside Tarantino movie. Harm is back!" Another wrote, "We saw a few minutes. Struck me see Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens in such extreme scenes for the film from Korine," tweeted one film reviewer.
"The craziest movie of 2013? To be a Harmony Korine movie with theft, lesbian scenes, and punk. And James Franco with gold teeth," tweeted the reviewer, not holding back on any film spoilers.
Fans will have to wait until 2013 before they see the bikini-clad, Selena Gomez in action. As for Gomez's other film projects, the 19-year old was spotted last month in Bulgaria shooting scenes for her action-pumped flick, "The Getaway" with Ethan Hawke.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- ‘Fast and Furious’ 7 New Car Revealed To Be a Humvee
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0