'Spring Breakers' Rave Reviews: Fans Love Selena Gomez’s’ Edgier Role
By Diadem Pambid | May 29, 2012 1:27 PM EST
Selena Gomez is no longer the cute and quirky Disney princess. In Selena's new film, "Spring Breakers" that is.
The 19-year old actress has ditched all the necessary clothes for a neon blue bikini and Selena gets into more trouble than the usual. The film is set for a 2013 release but the raves are already pouring in.
"Spring Breakers" is definitely a far cry from Selena Gomez's squeaky clean image in "Wizards of Waverly Place". However, to take on such a racy role is one bold move for the 19-year old actress. Apart from parading around in a teeny bikini, Selena gets involved in burglary, drugs and booze. Gomez even had to someone to teach her how to smoke in preparation for the role.
"I'd never smoked a cigarette before in my entire life," shared Selena. "It was really funny - they had to show me how to do it."
While others may have doubted Selena's acting skills, the preview of the film released at the Cannes Film Festival will be enough to convince anyone at how incredibly talented Gomez is.
"I was getting kind of repetitive in terms of the roles I was picking, and I really wanted to do something that was completely different," explained Gomez on her racy role.
As for "Spring Breakers", the film rated well with film critics and raves have already poured in. Numerous tweets about the film caused a fan frenzy as well which equally means a whopping amount of money by the time "Spring Breakers" hits the big screen in 2013.
"The best thing I've seen so far in Cannes: the outdoor movie Harmony Korine, Spring Breakers, alongside Tarantino movie. Harm is back!" Another wrote, "We saw a few minutes. Struck me see Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens in such extreme scenes for the film from Korine," tweeted one film reviewer.
"The craziest movie of 2013? To be a Harmony Korine movie with theft, lesbian scenes, and punk. And James Franco with gold teeth," tweeted the reviewer, not holding back on any film spoilers.
Fans will have to wait until 2013 before they see the bikini-clad, Selena Gomez in action. As for Gomez's other film projects, the 19-year old was spotted last month in Bulgaria shooting scenes for her action-pumped flick, "The Getaway" with Ethan Hawke.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Portia De Rossi And Ellen DeGeneres Address 'Epic Fight' Story
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 6 Spoilers: Abby Sciuto Talks Of Cote de Pablo's Character, 'I Loved Ziva But She Left Us' (Review)
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown