Larry Flynt Blasts ‘Prudish And Delusional Right Wing’ Over S.E. Cupp Hustler Photo As ‘The View’ Hosts Jump To The Defense
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 26, 2012 12:00 AM EST
Hustler's publisher, Larry Flynt, offered a second response in regard to a lewd photo of conservative commentator S.E. Cupp published in his raunchy men's magazine. But Flynt's defense of "that's satire" did not sit well with the ladies of "The View," who took offense to the misogynistic and graphic digitally-altered photo.
The Blaze first reported Wednesday that a fake photo of S.E. Cupp, doctored to make it appear as if Cupp had a penis in her mouth, was published in the raunchy men's magazine. The photo appears next to the headline "Celebrity Fantasy" with the caption "What Would S.E. Cupp Look Like With A D--- In Her Mouth?"
Flynt v. Falwell was a 1988 case wherein the U.S. SupremeCourt decided that the First Amendment protects parodies of public figures as long as they cannot reasonably be perceived as legitimate. Hustler had published an article in 1983 claiming Rev. Jerry Falwell had engaged in a drunken sexual encounter with his mother. The case was decided 8-0.
On Thursday, Flynt responded again, this time talking to The Daily Beast.
"As the result of our publishing an ad parody of political pundit S.E. Cupp that depicted her having oral sex, the prudish and delusional right wing has accused me and my magazine of being sexist and waging a war on women," Flynt told The Daily Beast. "That's absurd. The picture was clearly labeled as satire. It was intended as humorous commentary about her politics. We stated that no such image of Ms. Cupp actually exists. Secondly, the feature, which we run every month, has previously depicted such male luminaries as Mario Cuomo, Dan Rather and, most recently, my friend Bill Maher. How misogynistic or sexist is that?"
"So critics, get a life," he continued. "Find another horse to beat. We don't know anything about Ms. Cupp's personal life, but we do know that oral sex is practiced by the majority of adult Americans, both male and female. The fact that the picture of Ms. Cupp has generated so much flap says more about the sexual repression of the American people than it does anything else. Oral sex is a normal and healthy practice."
But the five hosts of ABC's "The View," only one of whom is a vocal conservative, defended S.E. Cupp and criticized Larry Flynt for the "offensive" and "disgusting" image published in Hustler. Cupp, a columnist for The New York Daily News, is a "friend of 'The View.'" She sat in the audience during Thrusday's show.
"Whether you're conservative or a Democrat, this is not OK," host and actress Whoopi Goldberg said on Thursday's show. "This is offensive. This is not the dialogue that we have when we disagree."
"It's not funny in any way. It's offensive and horrifying and we're sorry that they did," added co-host Joy Behar. "We know her for years. I love her. She's a darling girl and this is just disgusting."
S.E. Cupp offered her reaction to the Hustler photo.
"I was horrified," said Cupp. "It was disgusting and, even though I didn't actually do that, by the end of the day I felt ashamed, as if I had. And knowing that this photo will be out there forever, my children will see it if I have them one day, it's sad."
In her first response to The Blaze, Cupp balked at the chance any feminist organizations would come to her defense. "The National Organization for Women, NOW, will not come out and say liberal women deserve more respect than conservative women and we are not going to defend conservative women. They're not going to admit to that but let me tell you that is exactly how they feel," she told the website.
She paralleled her issue with Hustler to that of Sandra Fluke, the Georgetown Law student who radio personality Rush Limbaugh called a "slut" during a conversation about contraceptive mandates in the Obama healthcare plan. NOW spoke out in defense of Fluke.
Elisabeth Hasselbeck, a strident conservative and Republican Party backer, said that she attempted to reach out to NOW, but had not heard back from the organization.
"I actually called the National Organization for Women today or shall I say, because they couldn't answer the phone and have yet to make a statement on this, the National Organization of Some Women, and, yet to get a response from them when they have jumped on other cases," said Hasselbeck.
Cupp said that she herself had received support from Fluke as well as from Planned Parenthood.
She said that she has no plans to sue Flynt or Hustler because of "free speech."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- Princess Diana's Gravesite Algae-Infested, Earl Spencer Reportedly To Blame
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Human Barbie: Ukranian Teenager Lolita Richi Comes Out As A New Human Barbie, Possible Valeria Lukyanova Rival
- Kate Middleton Cried During Visit To London Tower With Prince William--- Reports
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features