Cannes Film Festival 2012: What is Aishwarya Rai Bachchan Wearing for Red Carpet?
By Simi John | May 24, 2012 7:52 PM EST
Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan is set to walk the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival for the eleventh consecutive year, will reportedly be styled - for traditional Indian outfits - designed by Abu Jani-Sandeep Khosla.
The actress will be present on 24 May and 25 May and will be seen in an off-white sari with antique gold embroidery and chikankari work. She will also wear a beige churidar set embellished with heavy zari work, according to a report in Hollywood Life. Her other costumes, it is rumoured, will be anarkalis (north Indian ethnic wear) in pastel colours. Initial reports suggested designer Sabyasachi Mukherjee would style her but those were later denied by the designer himself.
This is not the first time the Bollywood diva has opted for traditional attire in Cannes.
She wore a heavily embellished yellow sari for her first appearance, in 2002. That was accessorised with a gold necklace and bangles. The following year, she wore a green sari but was criticised for some aspects of her wardrobe, which were declared outdated. During the same visit she also wore a semi-western embellished lehenga, with a plain pink sleeveless top.
She turned heads, though, in 2010, when she wore a Sabyasaschi-designed sari with heavy embroidery and matched it with a contrastingly coloured top and styled herself to look, again, as traditional as possible. The star of an Indian remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is also the first Indian jury member at Cannes and will be accompanied, this year, by daughter Aaradhya and mother Vrinda Rai.
The 38 year old will attend the event as cosmetic brand L'oreal's brand ambassador and will also appear at the L'Oreal Paris - amfAR (The American Foundation for AIDS Research) dinner that will help raise funds for the fight against AIDS.
After Cannes, she will jet off to Monaco for the 17th Bal de l'Ete, scheduled from 22 June through 24 June and the theme of this event is - Princess of Rajasthan.
Finally, an earlier IBTimes UK report spoke of how the former Miss World has come under heavy criticism from across the world for failing to lose weight gained during her pregnancy. Aishwarya gave birth to Aaradhya in November.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2