Cannes Film Festival 2012: What is Aishwarya Rai Bachchan Wearing for Red Carpet?
By Simi John | May 24, 2012 7:52 PM EST
Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan is set to walk the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival for the eleventh consecutive year, will reportedly be styled - for traditional Indian outfits - designed by Abu Jani-Sandeep Khosla.
The actress will be present on 24 May and 25 May and will be seen in an off-white sari with antique gold embroidery and chikankari work. She will also wear a beige churidar set embellished with heavy zari work, according to a report in Hollywood Life. Her other costumes, it is rumoured, will be anarkalis (north Indian ethnic wear) in pastel colours. Initial reports suggested designer Sabyasachi Mukherjee would style her but those were later denied by the designer himself.
This is not the first time the Bollywood diva has opted for traditional attire in Cannes.
She wore a heavily embellished yellow sari for her first appearance, in 2002. That was accessorised with a gold necklace and bangles. The following year, she wore a green sari but was criticised for some aspects of her wardrobe, which were declared outdated. During the same visit she also wore a semi-western embellished lehenga, with a plain pink sleeveless top.
She turned heads, though, in 2010, when she wore a Sabyasaschi-designed sari with heavy embroidery and matched it with a contrastingly coloured top and styled herself to look, again, as traditional as possible. The star of an Indian remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is also the first Indian jury member at Cannes and will be accompanied, this year, by daughter Aaradhya and mother Vrinda Rai.
The 38 year old will attend the event as cosmetic brand L'oreal's brand ambassador and will also appear at the L'Oreal Paris - amfAR (The American Foundation for AIDS Research) dinner that will help raise funds for the fight against AIDS.
After Cannes, she will jet off to Monaco for the 17th Bal de l'Ete, scheduled from 22 June through 24 June and the theme of this event is - Princess of Rajasthan.
Finally, an earlier IBTimes UK report spoke of how the former Miss World has come under heavy criticism from across the world for failing to lose weight gained during her pregnancy. Aishwarya gave birth to Aaradhya in November.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air