Cannes Film Festival 2012: What is Aishwarya Rai Bachchan Wearing for Red Carpet?
By Simi John | May 24, 2012 7:52 PM EST
Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan is set to walk the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival for the eleventh consecutive year, will reportedly be styled - for traditional Indian outfits - designed by Abu Jani-Sandeep Khosla.
The actress will be present on 24 May and 25 May and will be seen in an off-white sari with antique gold embroidery and chikankari work. She will also wear a beige churidar set embellished with heavy zari work, according to a report in Hollywood Life. Her other costumes, it is rumoured, will be anarkalis (north Indian ethnic wear) in pastel colours. Initial reports suggested designer Sabyasachi Mukherjee would style her but those were later denied by the designer himself.
This is not the first time the Bollywood diva has opted for traditional attire in Cannes.
She wore a heavily embellished yellow sari for her first appearance, in 2002. That was accessorised with a gold necklace and bangles. The following year, she wore a green sari but was criticised for some aspects of her wardrobe, which were declared outdated. During the same visit she also wore a semi-western embellished lehenga, with a plain pink sleeveless top.
She turned heads, though, in 2010, when she wore a Sabyasaschi-designed sari with heavy embroidery and matched it with a contrastingly coloured top and styled herself to look, again, as traditional as possible. The star of an Indian remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is also the first Indian jury member at Cannes and will be accompanied, this year, by daughter Aaradhya and mother Vrinda Rai.
The 38 year old will attend the event as cosmetic brand L'oreal's brand ambassador and will also appear at the L'Oreal Paris - amfAR (The American Foundation for AIDS Research) dinner that will help raise funds for the fight against AIDS.
After Cannes, she will jet off to Monaco for the 17th Bal de l'Ete, scheduled from 22 June through 24 June and the theme of this event is - Princess of Rajasthan.
Finally, an earlier IBTimes UK report spoke of how the former Miss World has come under heavy criticism from across the world for failing to lose weight gained during her pregnancy. Aishwarya gave birth to Aaradhya in November.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists