Cannes Film Festival 2012: What is Aishwarya Rai Bachchan Wearing for Red Carpet?
By Simi John | May 24, 2012 7:52 PM EST
Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan is set to walk the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival for the eleventh consecutive year, will reportedly be styled - for traditional Indian outfits - designed by Abu Jani-Sandeep Khosla.
The actress will be present on 24 May and 25 May and will be seen in an off-white sari with antique gold embroidery and chikankari work. She will also wear a beige churidar set embellished with heavy zari work, according to a report in Hollywood Life. Her other costumes, it is rumoured, will be anarkalis (north Indian ethnic wear) in pastel colours. Initial reports suggested designer Sabyasachi Mukherjee would style her but those were later denied by the designer himself.
This is not the first time the Bollywood diva has opted for traditional attire in Cannes.
She wore a heavily embellished yellow sari for her first appearance, in 2002. That was accessorised with a gold necklace and bangles. The following year, she wore a green sari but was criticised for some aspects of her wardrobe, which were declared outdated. During the same visit she also wore a semi-western embellished lehenga, with a plain pink sleeveless top.
She turned heads, though, in 2010, when she wore a Sabyasaschi-designed sari with heavy embroidery and matched it with a contrastingly coloured top and styled herself to look, again, as traditional as possible. The star of an Indian remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is also the first Indian jury member at Cannes and will be accompanied, this year, by daughter Aaradhya and mother Vrinda Rai.
The 38 year old will attend the event as cosmetic brand L'oreal's brand ambassador and will also appear at the L'Oreal Paris - amfAR (The American Foundation for AIDS Research) dinner that will help raise funds for the fight against AIDS.
After Cannes, she will jet off to Monaco for the 17th Bal de l'Ete, scheduled from 22 June through 24 June and the theme of this event is - Princess of Rajasthan.
Finally, an earlier IBTimes UK report spoke of how the former Miss World has come under heavy criticism from across the world for failing to lose weight gained during her pregnancy. Aishwarya gave birth to Aaradhya in November.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal