The Voice Ratings: Great Start, Bad Progress?
By Arlene Paredes | May 22, 2012 1:10 PM EST
The Voice failed to get more than two million viewers Monday night on Australian television, although it still managed to top the ratings game.
The singing show got 1.937 million viewership, while Seven News was not far behind with 1.421 million. It was the first time for The Voice to fall below the two million mark since it started five weeks ago.
Is the thrill gone in The Voice Australia?
Were the initial ratings great only because of the blind auditions? The audience curiosity has been satisfied after that, and then it becomes just another singing competition. If this is the case, producers should be quick to think of ways to call the show's viewers back.
Drama and Flak
What can the coaches do? Is Delta Goodrem contributing to the show's drop in ratings? She is the only coach in The Voice who has drawn so much criticism for what she says and does on the show. She maintains, however, that she is in the show to do her job well.
How about kicking out Carmen Smith after her appearance in Guy Sebastian's video? That certainly did not make a good impression on the viewers.
The Voice took in so much unnecessary drama and flak way too soon. Now it is standing on wobbly feet, without certainty that it would see another season on Australian television.
Meanwhile, the eliminations on Sunday saw popular contestant Ben Bennett leave the competition. Goodrem said their performances failed to "blow off the roof," much like how The Voice ratings are doing.
The Voice UK Got it Worse
Meanwhile, in Britain, only six million viewers tuned in to The Voice Saturday night. The figure is short by two million in order to keep the show's finances in good standing.
Considering this BBC One show cost £22 million to produce, The Voice could get the axe too soon if its ratings fail to improve.
If the producers could remedy the situation, they better start acting now.
Viewers would remember Saturday's show for the incident in which judge Jessie J complained her earpiece was not working in the middle of a performance. A show that wants to keep it big should not have something like that happen live on stage.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens’ Leaked Dialogue Of Han Solo From Upcoming Trailer [Spoilers]
- Beyonce’s ‘Ring Off’ Isn’t About Her Alleged Crumbling Marriage to Jay Z, But About Her Parents [VIDEOS]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks