The Voice Ratings: Great Start, Bad Progress?
By Arlene Paredes | May 22, 2012 1:10 PM EST
The Voice failed to get more than two million viewers Monday night on Australian television, although it still managed to top the ratings game.
The singing show got 1.937 million viewership, while Seven News was not far behind with 1.421 million. It was the first time for The Voice to fall below the two million mark since it started five weeks ago.
Is the thrill gone in The Voice Australia?
Were the initial ratings great only because of the blind auditions? The audience curiosity has been satisfied after that, and then it becomes just another singing competition. If this is the case, producers should be quick to think of ways to call the show's viewers back.
Drama and Flak
What can the coaches do? Is Delta Goodrem contributing to the show's drop in ratings? She is the only coach in The Voice who has drawn so much criticism for what she says and does on the show. She maintains, however, that she is in the show to do her job well.
How about kicking out Carmen Smith after her appearance in Guy Sebastian's video? That certainly did not make a good impression on the viewers.
The Voice took in so much unnecessary drama and flak way too soon. Now it is standing on wobbly feet, without certainty that it would see another season on Australian television.
Meanwhile, the eliminations on Sunday saw popular contestant Ben Bennett leave the competition. Goodrem said their performances failed to "blow off the roof," much like how The Voice ratings are doing.
The Voice UK Got it Worse
Meanwhile, in Britain, only six million viewers tuned in to The Voice Saturday night. The figure is short by two million in order to keep the show's finances in good standing.
Considering this BBC One show cost £22 million to produce, The Voice could get the axe too soon if its ratings fail to improve.
If the producers could remedy the situation, they better start acting now.
Viewers would remember Saturday's show for the incident in which judge Jessie J complained her earpiece was not working in the middle of a performance. A show that wants to keep it big should not have something like that happen live on stage.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date