Gay DC Character In The Works? DC Comics’ Dan DiDio Gives Tidbits at Kapow 2012
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 21, 2012 11:38 PM EST
The week after U.S. President Barack Obama officially declared his endorsement for gay marriage, DC Comics' co-publisher Dan DiDio announced at Kapow 2012 in London that there is a gay character in the works, but the plans have slightly changed since the first announcement in July 2011.
At the Kapow Comic Convention in London on Saturday, DiDio said an established character from DC Comics will be reintroduced as gay in the New 52 comic collection. According to BleedingCool.com, DiDio said the superhero who was previously assumed to be straight will be "one of our most prominent gay characters." So far, there are no clues as to which character it might be, but there are dozens of possibilities like a character from the Ravagers or Tim Drake, according to ScienceFiction.com.
The news comes more than a year after DiDio told The Advocate that DC Comics would feature a gay superhero.
"What we really wanted to do was show the diversity of our audience across the line of our books," he told The Advocate of introducing LGBT characters. "Right now we have such a wide fan base and we wanted to create characters and stories that really reflected [that] fan base."
However, he said that the gay character would be brand-new, as opposed to reintroducing a known character last July.
So was it coincidence that DC Comics' initiative to include a gay character came as the country hails the first president to publically endorse gay marriage. Senior vice president Bob Wayne said the company's view of sexual orientation "has evolved," directly borrowing words from President Obama.
The move also comes as Marvel Comics is rumored to be writing the first-ever same-sex superhero wedding to be released in a comic in June, with Z-Men's Northstar set to marry boyfriend Kyle in "Astonishing X-Men."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Paints Using Boxing Gloves in Promo for Philippine Edition of Sports Science TV Show He is Hosting
- Photographer Discovers Mime was Young Robin Williams 35 Years After
- How Bass and Heavy Music can Make you Feel Powerful
- Hair Iron Could Spell the Future of Instant Hair Colour - US Engineers [Watch Video]
- Sydney Opera House Responds to John Malkovich’s ‘Fit For a Circus’ Critique
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge