Samsung Galaxy S3 Variants: What Will Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile and AT&T Get?
By Sarmistha Acharya | May 21, 2012 9:22 PM EST
Samsung has already received more than nine million pre-orders, from across the world, for the newly launched Galaxy S3 smartphone and there are now only days left for the UK market release of the device. The phone will go on sale with more than 100 carries across the world. The manufacturers have recently confirmed the UK model of the S3 will support 42Mbps DC-HSPA data speed.
In terms of specifications, the Galaxy S3 will be equipped with the latest technology from Near Field Communication (NFC) to 4G compatibility and even a voice-activated personal assistant - S Voice - designed to be an alternative to Apple's Siri. The phone will run on Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and will be powered by Samsung's Exynos 4 quad-core processor.
However, there is still some confusion over specifications that could vary from market to market, depending on available carrier technology. According to an earlier IBTimes UK report, the Japanese variant will pack 2GB of RAM (the standard model is expected to have only 1GB).
Finally, while it is expected the phone will go on sale with all major carriers, there is no official confirmation of that expectation.
Based on the rumours, below is a list of major carriers the Galaxy S3 could be available on
Verizon: A device by model number SCH-I535 appeared in the Nenamark benchmark tests, revealing specifications consistent with the S3. However, unlike the global version, this phone, if indeed it is the Galaxy heading to Verizon, will have a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 dual-core chip and a Qualcomm Adreno 225 GPU. According to the test, the device scored 60.30.
Sprint: A user agent profile (UAP) of the next Galaxy which bears the model number SPH-L710 appeared online. The information was obtained by a Web site called Pocketnow, which suggested Sprint could stock the S3. The specifications revealed by the leak are similar to the phone's global version, model number I9300. The UAP suggests the Sprint variant will be powered by Qualcomm's dual-core Snapdragon S4 MSM8960 processor and will run on Android 4.0.4. The storage capacity options are listed as 16GB; with 32GB and 64GB models to be available soon. The smartphone will offer microSD card slots.
T-Mobile and AT&T: The Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) has approved two models of the Galaxy S3 - model numbers SGH-I747 and SGH-T999. SGH-I747 is the model number of the AT&T variant of the Galaxy S3 whereas the second one is T-Mobile bound. The features of both are expected to be more or less similar to the international version, except that the processor is likely to be the dual-core Snapdragon S4. The AT&T version will have LTE connectivity and may pack 2GB of RAM, according to a report by Unwired View.
Meanwhile, there are possibilities the US version of the Galaxy S3 could be powered by Qualcomm's dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor.
"Samsung plans to release its Galaxy S3 smartphone according to different specifications and different markets. For European consumers, it will use 3G and the company's own quad-core mobile APs, while its own solution that combines LTE, 3G and quad-core mobile APs will be used for the Korean version. But only in the United States, will Samsung use Qualcomm chips," an unidentified Samsung executive was quoted as saying in a report by Korea Times.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points