Nasdaq Admits Design Flaws Led To Glitches In Facebook Trading
By J.J. McGrath | May 21, 2012 9:46 AM EST
Nasdaq is "humbly embarrassed" by the technical issues that plagued trading in shares of Facebook Inc. (Nasdaq: FB) on Friday, Robert Greifeld, CEO of Nasdaq OMX Group Inc. (Nasdaq: NDAQ), told reporters on a conference call on Sunday.
"This was not our finest hour," Greifeld said. He told reporters Nasdaq's board met on Saturday to discuss the Facebook offering and that the exchange plans to make changes to the IPO auction process because of the Facebook problems, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Greifeld explained that computer systems designed to determine an opening price were overwhelmed by the order cancellations as the "biggest IPO cross in the history of mankind" was happening, Bloomberg News said. As a result, Nasdaq's system fell into a "loop" that kept the exchange from opening the shares on schedule.
Nasdaq conducted tests ahead of the highly anticipated IPO, but they failed to detect the problem, according to Greifeld.
Still, Greifeld characterized the first day of trading in Facebook's shares as "successful." He also contended the exchange's technical problems were unrelated to the lackluster performance of the social-networking company's share price.
Greifeld's public remarks were the first made on the matter by Nasdaq since the open of trading in Facebook shares was delayed by 30 minutes on Friday.
Nasdaq's glitches with the Facebook IPO last week were reminiscent of Bats Global Markets Inc.'s issues with its very own IPO in March.
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission told Bloomberg News on Friday it will be examining the circumstances surrounding the snafu. "As is our practice, staff will review the incident with Nasdaq to determine its cause and steps that will be taken to address it," John Nester, an SEC representative, wrote via email.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS