Trayvon Martin Had THC In System, Was Shot At Close Range: Police Report
By Sara Dover | May 18, 2012 8:50 AM EST
Trayvon Martin was shot at close range and had the drug THC in his system, according to an autopsy report released by lawyers handling the case of his death.
The autopsy report was part of hundreds of pages of evidence in the controversial case released to the public on Thursday.
George Zimmerman, a white-Hispanic volunteer neighborhood watchman, says he was practicing self-defense when he shot and killed the unarmed 17-year-old black high schooler on Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla. The case caused public outrage and debate about racial profiling because Zimmerman was originally released without criminal charges. He has since been charged with second-degree murder.
The medical examiner's finding that Zimmerman shot Martin from close range supports Zimmerman's claim that he fired during a struggle. Zimmerman says Martin straddled him and slammed his head to the ground. The medical examiner also reported that Martin's finger had an abrasion 1/4"-1/8" large, indicating a struggle.
"The [gunshot] wound is consistent with a wound of entrance of intermediate range," reads the report.
Michael Wagner, one of the Sanford police officers who reported to the scene, wrote in his testimony that "Zimmerman's face was bloodied and it appeared to me that his nose was broken" (page 17).
Traces of THC in Martin's blood and urine, however, is not particularly revealing. The drug, found in marijuana, can stay in one's system for days after inhalation or ingestion and doesn't mean that Martin was high. Martin was suspended from school shortly before his death for possessing pot, a family spokesman told CBS in March.
The autopsy (it begins on page 125) confirms that the death was a homicide by a gunshot wound to the chest and through the heart.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch