Trayvon Martin Had THC In System, Was Shot At Close Range: Police Report
By Sara Dover | May 18, 2012 8:50 AM EST
Trayvon Martin was shot at close range and had the drug THC in his system, according to an autopsy report released by lawyers handling the case of his death.
The autopsy report was part of hundreds of pages of evidence in the controversial case released to the public on Thursday.
George Zimmerman, a white-Hispanic volunteer neighborhood watchman, says he was practicing self-defense when he shot and killed the unarmed 17-year-old black high schooler on Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla. The case caused public outrage and debate about racial profiling because Zimmerman was originally released without criminal charges. He has since been charged with second-degree murder.
The medical examiner's finding that Zimmerman shot Martin from close range supports Zimmerman's claim that he fired during a struggle. Zimmerman says Martin straddled him and slammed his head to the ground. The medical examiner also reported that Martin's finger had an abrasion 1/4"-1/8" large, indicating a struggle.
"The [gunshot] wound is consistent with a wound of entrance of intermediate range," reads the report.
Michael Wagner, one of the Sanford police officers who reported to the scene, wrote in his testimony that "Zimmerman's face was bloodied and it appeared to me that his nose was broken" (page 17).
Traces of THC in Martin's blood and urine, however, is not particularly revealing. The drug, found in marijuana, can stay in one's system for days after inhalation or ingestion and doesn't mean that Martin was high. Martin was suspended from school shortly before his death for possessing pot, a family spokesman told CBS in March.
The autopsy (it begins on page 125) confirms that the death was a homicide by a gunshot wound to the chest and through the heart.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff