Gold & Silver Decline: George Soros Nearly Quadrupled Gold Stake in Q1
By Eric McWhinnie | May 17, 2012 5:18 AM EST
On Wednesday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for June delivery declined $20.50 to settle at $1,536.60 per ounce, its lowest level since July. Meanwhile, silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures fell 88 cents to close at $27.20.
Both precious metals finished lower as the U.S. dollar marched higher for the 13th consecutive day. Euro zone central bank sources said the European Central Bank has stopped monetary policy operations with some Greek banks due to recapitalization concerns. The announcement comes a day after President Karolos Papoulia’s website said Greeks have withdrawn as much as 700 million euros ($893 million) from the nation’s banks since May 6.
Don’t Miss: Uncle Sam Must Love These 30 Companies
Reuters reports, “The ECB only conducts its refinancing operations with solvent banks. With no access to ECB funds, the banks concerned must go to the Bank of Greece for emergency liquidity assistance. It was unclear exactly how many banks were affected. One person familiar with the matter said four Greek banks’ capital was so depleted they were operating with negative equity capital. According to its own rules, the ECB cannot provide liquidity to banks in such a situation.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) edged .09 percent lower, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) declined 1.75 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) jumped 1.5 percent and 2.8 percent, respectively. Silver names such as Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) popped 2.75 percent and 1.07 percent, respectively.
Despite once calling gold the “ultimate bubble,” George Soros’ hedge fund nearly quadrupled its exposure to the SPDR Gold Trust from 85,450 shares in the fourth-quarter to 319,550 shares in the first-quarter. Soros Fund Management also opened a new position through call options in Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM), one of the world’s largest gold producers.
Investor Insight: What are Hedge Funds Doing With Gold?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff