Gold & Silver Decline: George Soros Nearly Quadrupled Gold Stake in Q1
By Eric McWhinnie | May 17, 2012 5:18 AM EST
On Wednesday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for June delivery declined $20.50 to settle at $1,536.60 per ounce, its lowest level since July. Meanwhile, silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures fell 88 cents to close at $27.20.
Both precious metals finished lower as the U.S. dollar marched higher for the 13th consecutive day. Euro zone central bank sources said the European Central Bank has stopped monetary policy operations with some Greek banks due to recapitalization concerns. The announcement comes a day after President Karolos Papoulia’s website said Greeks have withdrawn as much as 700 million euros ($893 million) from the nation’s banks since May 6.
Don’t Miss: Uncle Sam Must Love These 30 Companies
Reuters reports, “The ECB only conducts its refinancing operations with solvent banks. With no access to ECB funds, the banks concerned must go to the Bank of Greece for emergency liquidity assistance. It was unclear exactly how many banks were affected. One person familiar with the matter said four Greek banks’ capital was so depleted they were operating with negative equity capital. According to its own rules, the ECB cannot provide liquidity to banks in such a situation.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) edged .09 percent lower, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) declined 1.75 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) jumped 1.5 percent and 2.8 percent, respectively. Silver names such as Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) popped 2.75 percent and 1.07 percent, respectively.
Despite once calling gold the “ultimate bubble,” George Soros’ hedge fund nearly quadrupled its exposure to the SPDR Gold Trust from 85,450 shares in the fourth-quarter to 319,550 shares in the first-quarter. Soros Fund Management also opened a new position through call options in Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM), one of the world’s largest gold producers.
Investor Insight: What are Hedge Funds Doing With Gold?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists