Britney Spears Criticized For Chewing Gum, Bloodied Nails On ‘X Factor’ Red Carpet
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 17, 2012 4:47 AM EST
Britney Spears cannot seem to catch a break, even after signing a $15 million "X Factor" deal.
The pop starlet attended a press conference to announce her upcoming role as judge on Simon Cowell's "X Factor" on Monday and photographers immediately zoomed in on her red carpet appearance - chewing gum and flaunting bloodied fingernails.
Spears was photographed chomping on the chewy candy while talking to reporters about her new gig. But she ditched the chewing gum by the time she got in front of the FOX advertisers. Britney Spears has been known to chew gum on the red carpet before. TMZ even compiled an entire photo album dedicated to Spears' gum chewing over the years.
In 2009, numerous wads of Britney Spears' chewing gum were on the auction block, CBS News reported. One piece was priced as high as $14,000. "I have had this item for over three years and am only listing it because of the current interest in Ms. Spears' habit for discarding gum!" wrote one eBay seller who marked his for $53.
Another thing to nitpick about Britney Spears' "X Factor" appearance was her bloodied fingernails.
The Daily Mail was the first publication to zone in on the 30-year-old's bloody nails. The publication noted that it was probably due to nerves.
In the past, Spears has admitted to the nasty habit. Four years ago she said, "I have to learn to stop biting my nails! I would like to stop worrying so much, because I worry all the time."
Spears opted for two body-hugging dresses for the "X Factor" press stops. The New York Daily News published a photo of Spears in a white, thigh-skimming number and pointed to cellulite on her legs.
"Britney might be in need of more than just a trip to the nail salon. Earlier on Monday Spears appeared in a short white mini dress that showed off her famous pop star legs - and what looks to be a bit of cellulite," wrote NY Daily News reporter Kathryn Kattalia.
Regardless of the flak Britney Spears has gotten for her appearance Monday night, Simon Cowell is thrilled to have her as part of the team. Spears will join Demi Lovato as a new judge on the singing competition series. Spears and Lovato will replace Nicole Scherzinger and Paula Adbul, who judging during Season 1.
"I am so excited about this whole experience. It's going to be so much fun and so different from anything I've ever done," Spears told the crowd at her New York City appearance on Monday. "I'm ready to find the true star."
Cowell is "absolutely delighted" that the two singers will be joining him for Season 2. He is especially happy to have snagged Spears, who has been one of the top pop stars since she hit the music scene in 1999 at just 16-years-old.
"Britney remains one of the biggest stars in the world: she's talented, fascinating -- and I believe she knows exactly how to spot The X Factor," he told Us Weekly in a statement.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales