Britney Spears Criticized For Chewing Gum, Bloodied Nails On ‘X Factor’ Red Carpet
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 17, 2012 4:47 AM EST
Britney Spears cannot seem to catch a break, even after signing a $15 million "X Factor" deal.
The pop starlet attended a press conference to announce her upcoming role as judge on Simon Cowell's "X Factor" on Monday and photographers immediately zoomed in on her red carpet appearance - chewing gum and flaunting bloodied fingernails.
Spears was photographed chomping on the chewy candy while talking to reporters about her new gig. But she ditched the chewing gum by the time she got in front of the FOX advertisers. Britney Spears has been known to chew gum on the red carpet before. TMZ even compiled an entire photo album dedicated to Spears' gum chewing over the years.
In 2009, numerous wads of Britney Spears' chewing gum were on the auction block, CBS News reported. One piece was priced as high as $14,000. "I have had this item for over three years and am only listing it because of the current interest in Ms. Spears' habit for discarding gum!" wrote one eBay seller who marked his for $53.
Another thing to nitpick about Britney Spears' "X Factor" appearance was her bloodied fingernails.
The Daily Mail was the first publication to zone in on the 30-year-old's bloody nails. The publication noted that it was probably due to nerves.
In the past, Spears has admitted to the nasty habit. Four years ago she said, "I have to learn to stop biting my nails! I would like to stop worrying so much, because I worry all the time."
Spears opted for two body-hugging dresses for the "X Factor" press stops. The New York Daily News published a photo of Spears in a white, thigh-skimming number and pointed to cellulite on her legs.
"Britney might be in need of more than just a trip to the nail salon. Earlier on Monday Spears appeared in a short white mini dress that showed off her famous pop star legs - and what looks to be a bit of cellulite," wrote NY Daily News reporter Kathryn Kattalia.
Regardless of the flak Britney Spears has gotten for her appearance Monday night, Simon Cowell is thrilled to have her as part of the team. Spears will join Demi Lovato as a new judge on the singing competition series. Spears and Lovato will replace Nicole Scherzinger and Paula Adbul, who judging during Season 1.
"I am so excited about this whole experience. It's going to be so much fun and so different from anything I've ever done," Spears told the crowd at her New York City appearance on Monday. "I'm ready to find the true star."
Cowell is "absolutely delighted" that the two singers will be joining him for Season 2. He is especially happy to have snagged Spears, who has been one of the top pop stars since she hit the music scene in 1999 at just 16-years-old.
"Britney remains one of the biggest stars in the world: she's talented, fascinating -- and I believe she knows exactly how to spot The X Factor," he told Us Weekly in a statement.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- Scotland Voted Against Independence, Early Results Indicate