Wilshere Hits Back At Former Gunner
By Vanessa Keller | May 16, 2012 8:47 PM EST
Jack Wilshere has insisted that Arsenal will have the last laugh over Samir Nasri, as the Manchester City midfielder taunted his old club over their third place finish this week.
City won the Premier League title in the last five minutes of their season, taking out a much needed win over QPR to seal the trophy on goal difference over cross-town rivals Manchester United.
And as the club celebrated their achievement, Nasri couldn't help but have a go at Arsenal and their fans, saying they should 'move on with their lives' and 'celebrate their third place finish'.
And in an interview with Talksport, Wilshere said he believes that the France international may have spoken too soon with his gloating.
"I don't know what goes on in his head," he said. "I mean fair play to him he's won a trophy, but I think over the next couple of years that's our goal to win the trophy.
"I can really see Arsenal winning the trophy so maybe he spoke too soon and we can rub it in his face next year."
The comments from Nasri come amongst growing speculation that City are showing interest in another Arsenal talent, in the form of skipper Robin van Persie.
The striker's agent admitted this week that he had spoken to the club, but Wilshere believes that a top three finish will encourage van Persie to commit his long term future to the Gunners.
"We all know what Robin van Persie brings to the team and his leadership qualities and I think it's important we keep him," he explained.
"I think third place really helped us in that with keeping him, and I don't really know whats going on but I know he's having contract talks this week and I'm hopeful that he can stay.
"And it wasn't just him [who shone for the squad this year], I think Yossi Benayoun was brilliant - when he wasn't in the team he showed his fight. He's an older player and his hunger at that age for me was inspiring."
Wilshere is working hard to get fit again after missing the entire season due to injury, and will also miss out on the Euros this year as a result.
But the 20 year old believes that fellow Arsenal teammate Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will be a fine choice for the England line-up should Hodgson feel he's ready for the squad.
He said: "We've all seen what he can do on the pitch.
"At 18, he was the best player on the pitch against AC Milan in the Champions League, playing in central midfield, which is not his natural position.
"If the manager picked him, it would be great. He's such a calm young man, he knows everything that's going on around him and he knows what the future holds for him. His feet are on the ground and a tournament like this would do him good.
"Nothing fazes him and he's showed everyone what he's made of."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks