Pakistan Air Force Says It Will Overtake IAF
By W Rorrkychand Singh | May 15, 2012 2:54 PM EST
Stating that the Indian media has expressed shock and dismay over the revelations that the IAF would lose its superiority to the PAF, a release by PAF said: "The squadron strength of the IAF will drop to just 31 during the country's 12th five year plan (2012-2017)."
"At present, the IAF is operating 34 fighter jet squadrons, as compared to the 26 operated by the PAF. However, the IAF needs to operate 39.5 squadrons to maintain its superiority over the PAF due to a wide variety of issues like geographical disadvantage," it added.
The statement on Monday also claimed India "seems to have overlooked the procurement of much needed fighter aircraft, needed to guard its skies. The IAF also plans to phase out around 125 Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21 fighter jets during 2014-2017. It plans to replace them with the HAL Tejas, whose induction is likely to get delayed."
On the other hand, the PAF is moving forward with a number of high profile aircraft deals. Pakistan recently received 14 General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon (Block-52) aircraft from the US. It is likely to acquire 14 more within a short time.
The PAF is also actively pursuing aircraft deals with Chinese aerospace companies. It has finalised a deal to purchase 36 Chengdu J-10 multirole fighter aircraft from Chinese aircraft manufacturer Chengdu Aircraft Industry Corporation. The PAF is likely to induct these aircraft in 2014, according to the statement.
Reports say that the PAF would purchase as many as 150 fighter jets from China in the long run.
Pointing out India's recent defence deal with the French aerospace manufacturer Dassault Aviation for 126 Dassault Rafale Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft, the statement claimed "the deal has come under increasing scrutiny after allegations of kickbacks being given to Indian defence officials. Even if the deal goes forward, the delivery of the fighter jet is expected to take a long time. Earlier the Dassault Rafale was rejected by nations such as Singapore, South Korea, Morocco and Switzerland, citing lack of advanced technology and cost."
It also claimed: "Ever since the current Prime Minister Manmohan Singh took over for a second term in 2009, the defence scene has remained murky and problematic for the Indian government."
"The Army chief, Gen V K Singh, who undertook a number of reforms within the armed forces, was asked to resign this month by the defence minister, citing an error in his officially reported date of birth. The opposition claims that the government terminated Gen Singh's services since he was opposed to the corruption in the armed forces. A loyalist of the ruling Indian National Congress party, Lt Gen Bikram Singh, will take over the leadership from Gen V K Singh on June 1, 2012," it added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date