Gold Settles Under $1,600, Silver Near $29
By Eric McWhinnie | May 10, 2012 5:19 AM EST
Both precious metals struggled as eurozone officials debated delaying a 5.2 billion euro payment to Greece, due to political backlash. Greece owes a 3.3 billion euro payment to the European Central Bank next week. However, gold and silver both bounced off their intra-day lows as an agreement was reached.
Don’t Miss: Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger Tag Team Gold
Reuters reports, “After a conference call, the board of the European Financial Stability Facility, the 700 billion euro bailout fund administered by the 17 countries that use the euro, agreed to make the scheduled payment, which will allow Greece to meet near-term bond redemptions and other obligations.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) and iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) both declined about 1.04 percent. However, several gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) climbed higher as value investors came into the market. Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) jumped 4 percent, while Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) gained 2.8 percent. Silver investments such as Silver Wheaton Corp. (NYSE:SLW) increased 2.5 percent, while Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) dropped .98 percent.
Shares of Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) jumped more than 5 percent after reporting strong financial results for the first-quarter. Adjusted earnings surged 35 percent to $19.6 million (22 cents per share), compared to $14.5 million (18 cents per share) a year earlier. Revenues increased 39 percent to $49 million.
Investor Insight: Einhorn and Ron Paul on Bernanke’s Wealth Effect Fed Policy
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter