Gold Settles Under $1,600, Silver Near $29
By Eric McWhinnie | May 10, 2012 5:19 AM EST
Both precious metals struggled as eurozone officials debated delaying a 5.2 billion euro payment to Greece, due to political backlash. Greece owes a 3.3 billion euro payment to the European Central Bank next week. However, gold and silver both bounced off their intra-day lows as an agreement was reached.
Don’t Miss: Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger Tag Team Gold
Reuters reports, “After a conference call, the board of the European Financial Stability Facility, the 700 billion euro bailout fund administered by the 17 countries that use the euro, agreed to make the scheduled payment, which will allow Greece to meet near-term bond redemptions and other obligations.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) and iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) both declined about 1.04 percent. However, several gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) climbed higher as value investors came into the market. Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) jumped 4 percent, while Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) gained 2.8 percent. Silver investments such as Silver Wheaton Corp. (NYSE:SLW) increased 2.5 percent, while Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) dropped .98 percent.
Shares of Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) jumped more than 5 percent after reporting strong financial results for the first-quarter. Adjusted earnings surged 35 percent to $19.6 million (22 cents per share), compared to $14.5 million (18 cents per share) a year earlier. Revenues increased 39 percent to $49 million.
Investor Insight: Einhorn and Ron Paul on Bernanke’s Wealth Effect Fed Policy
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged