Gold Settles Under $1,600, Silver Near $29
By Eric McWhinnie | May 10, 2012 5:19 AM EST
Both precious metals struggled as eurozone officials debated delaying a 5.2 billion euro payment to Greece, due to political backlash. Greece owes a 3.3 billion euro payment to the European Central Bank next week. However, gold and silver both bounced off their intra-day lows as an agreement was reached.
Don’t Miss: Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger Tag Team Gold
Reuters reports, “After a conference call, the board of the European Financial Stability Facility, the 700 billion euro bailout fund administered by the 17 countries that use the euro, agreed to make the scheduled payment, which will allow Greece to meet near-term bond redemptions and other obligations.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) and iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) both declined about 1.04 percent. However, several gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) climbed higher as value investors came into the market. Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) jumped 4 percent, while Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) gained 2.8 percent. Silver investments such as Silver Wheaton Corp. (NYSE:SLW) increased 2.5 percent, while Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) dropped .98 percent.
Shares of Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) jumped more than 5 percent after reporting strong financial results for the first-quarter. Adjusted earnings surged 35 percent to $19.6 million (22 cents per share), compared to $14.5 million (18 cents per share) a year earlier. Revenues increased 39 percent to $49 million.
Investor Insight: Einhorn and Ron Paul on Bernanke’s Wealth Effect Fed Policy
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Join the Conversation
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James