Gold Settles Under $1,600, Silver Near $29
By Eric McWhinnie | May 10, 2012 5:19 AM EST
Both precious metals struggled as eurozone officials debated delaying a 5.2 billion euro payment to Greece, due to political backlash. Greece owes a 3.3 billion euro payment to the European Central Bank next week. However, gold and silver both bounced off their intra-day lows as an agreement was reached.
Don’t Miss: Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger Tag Team Gold
Reuters reports, “After a conference call, the board of the European Financial Stability Facility, the 700 billion euro bailout fund administered by the 17 countries that use the euro, agreed to make the scheduled payment, which will allow Greece to meet near-term bond redemptions and other obligations.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) and iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) both declined about 1.04 percent. However, several gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) climbed higher as value investors came into the market. Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) jumped 4 percent, while Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) gained 2.8 percent. Silver investments such as Silver Wheaton Corp. (NYSE:SLW) increased 2.5 percent, while Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) dropped .98 percent.
Shares of Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) jumped more than 5 percent after reporting strong financial results for the first-quarter. Adjusted earnings surged 35 percent to $19.6 million (22 cents per share), compared to $14.5 million (18 cents per share) a year earlier. Revenues increased 39 percent to $49 million.
Investor Insight: Einhorn and Ron Paul on Bernanke’s Wealth Effect Fed Policy
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon