Gold Settles Under $1,600, Silver Near $29
By Eric McWhinnie | May 10, 2012 5:19 AM EST
Both precious metals struggled as eurozone officials debated delaying a 5.2 billion euro payment to Greece, due to political backlash. Greece owes a 3.3 billion euro payment to the European Central Bank next week. However, gold and silver both bounced off their intra-day lows as an agreement was reached.
Don’t Miss: Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger Tag Team Gold
Reuters reports, “After a conference call, the board of the European Financial Stability Facility, the 700 billion euro bailout fund administered by the 17 countries that use the euro, agreed to make the scheduled payment, which will allow Greece to meet near-term bond redemptions and other obligations.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) and iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) both declined about 1.04 percent. However, several gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) climbed higher as value investors came into the market. Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) jumped 4 percent, while Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) gained 2.8 percent. Silver investments such as Silver Wheaton Corp. (NYSE:SLW) increased 2.5 percent, while Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) dropped .98 percent.
Shares of Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) jumped more than 5 percent after reporting strong financial results for the first-quarter. Adjusted earnings surged 35 percent to $19.6 million (22 cents per share), compared to $14.5 million (18 cents per share) a year earlier. Revenues increased 39 percent to $49 million.
Investor Insight: Einhorn and Ron Paul on Bernanke’s Wealth Effect Fed Policy
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles