OTC Herbal Supplement Rutin Blocks Blood Clot Formation: Study
By Roxanne Palmer | May 9, 2012 5:18 AM EST
A new study has shown that the over-the-counter dietary supplement can inhibit blood clot formation in the blood vessels of mice, suggesting that it could be used to treat and prevent stroke, pulmonary embolism and other conditions in humans.
"Clot formation in arteries causes heart attacks and strokes, which are the number one killer of people in western civilization," says Robert Flaumenhaft, a researcher at Harvard Medical School's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
Flaumenhaft is the senior author of a paper that appeared Tuesday in the Journal of Clinical Investigation detailing rutin's anti-clotting capabilities in mice.
Other investigators have recently discovered that an enzyme called protein disulfide isomerase, or PDI, is involved in blood clot formation. So Flaumenhaft and his lab began looking for a compound that would inhibit PDI.
After screening around 5,000 compounds, Flaumenhaft found that rutin seemed like the best candidate. It's a type of compound called a flavonoid, and occurs naturally in a number of fruits and vegetables, including asparagus, buckwheat, cranberries, and citrus fruits like oranges and lemons.
"Rutin is of great interest to us because it's plentiful in many types of foodstuffs and because you can buy 500mg tablets of it at the corner drug store," Flaumenhaft said in a telephone interview.
To see how rutin performs at blocking PDI inside a living body, Flaumenhaft and his team injured blood vessels in mice by zapping them with a laser or using a chemical called ferric chloride. They then found that blood clot formation was inhibited in the vessels of mice that had been given rutin by mouth.
Not all clots are alike - blood clots in veins tend to be richer in a protein called fibrin, while blood clots in arteries are more comprised of aggregates of platelets - fragments of cells. Rutin seems to stop both kinds of clots from forming, according to the paper.
It's still unclear exactly how rutin's target, PDI, promotes blood clot formation, but scientists know that it's involved in getting proteins to fold into certain conformations.
"There's some sense that PDI gets the proteins into proper form for clotting to proceed," Flaumenhaft says.
Rutin's ability to inhibit PDI would stop the formation of clots just as tackling a conductor at the symphony would disrupt the orchestra's performance.
Flaumenhaft says his team found they needed higher doses of rutin to inhibit clot formation when they gave the compound to the mice orally instead of by injection. But the amount of rutin they used by body weight of the mice is comparable to the dosage found in human supplements, he says.
What's needed now, Flaumenhaft says, are clinical studies to examines how rutin performs at stopping blood clot formation in human blood vessels.
The fact that rutin is already sold over the counter means it would have a much quicker path through the drug pipeline than newer compounds, which have to go through preclinical testing to show they won't endanger trial patients.
"Because this is already a compound that is generally recognized as safe, it can go right to clinical trials," he says.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Alien' Ecosystem Found Under Antarctic Ice: Hope For Life in Other Icy Planets (Watch Video)
- Jennifer Aniston Prefers Natural Ageing; Slams Cosmetic Surgery
- Breakthrough in Science: Genetic Recipe of Lizard Tail Generation Will Help Humans Get New Limbs
- The Chance To See a 125-Million Years Old Dinosaur Footprints
- Top Health Issues about the Consumption of Noodles
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year