Surfer Garrett McNamara Wins Awards, Breaks Guinness World Record For Biggest Wave, Watch The Video Here [PHOTOS & VIDEO]
By Amanda Remling | May 9, 2012 1:48 AM EST
Garrett McNamara broke records and took home awards at Fridays Billabong XXL Awards. Taking home the Biggest Wave Award for his wave at North Canyon in Portugal, Garrett also set a new world record for surfing.
McNamara's Biggest Wave Award stems from a 78 footer in Portugal this past November. The Body Glove International team rider was also recognized by Guinness World Records for the 78 foot wave. McNamara's November Portugal ride tops previous record holder Mike Parsons, 2008 Southern California 77 footer.
The Guinness World Record site already acknowledges McNamara as the new record holder, with the height of the wave being authenticated by the Billabong XXL Global Big Wave Awards judging committee.
"It's amazing we get to do what we do, I'm so grateful," McNamara said onstage, accepting the award. "The world record doesn't mean as much to me - this is for the town of Nazaré and Portugal and for all my family and friends there. To be able to give them something to be proud of and inspire them, a world record for this town doing it tough in the middle of nowhere is great," he continued.
Garrett McNamara was born in Pittsfield, Mass., in 1967. In 1978 the future Guinness World Record breaker moved to Hawaii with his family where his passion for surfing took off.
Watch the video of Garrett McNamara ride his record breaking wave here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan