Surfer Garrett McNamara Wins Awards, Breaks Guinness World Record For Biggest Wave, Watch The Video Here [PHOTOS & VIDEO]
By Amanda Remling | May 9, 2012 1:48 AM EST
Garrett McNamara broke records and took home awards at Fridays Billabong XXL Awards. Taking home the Biggest Wave Award for his wave at North Canyon in Portugal, Garrett also set a new world record for surfing.
McNamara's Biggest Wave Award stems from a 78 footer in Portugal this past November. The Body Glove International team rider was also recognized by Guinness World Records for the 78 foot wave. McNamara's November Portugal ride tops previous record holder Mike Parsons, 2008 Southern California 77 footer.
The Guinness World Record site already acknowledges McNamara as the new record holder, with the height of the wave being authenticated by the Billabong XXL Global Big Wave Awards judging committee.
"It's amazing we get to do what we do, I'm so grateful," McNamara said onstage, accepting the award. "The world record doesn't mean as much to me - this is for the town of Nazaré and Portugal and for all my family and friends there. To be able to give them something to be proud of and inspire them, a world record for this town doing it tough in the middle of nowhere is great," he continued.
Garrett McNamara was born in Pittsfield, Mass., in 1967. In 1978 the future Guinness World Record breaker moved to Hawaii with his family where his passion for surfing took off.
Watch the video of Garrett McNamara ride his record breaking wave here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage