Surfer Garrett McNamara Wins Awards, Breaks Guinness World Record For Biggest Wave, Watch The Video Here [PHOTOS & VIDEO]
By Amanda Remling | May 9, 2012 1:48 AM EST
Garrett McNamara broke records and took home awards at Fridays Billabong XXL Awards. Taking home the Biggest Wave Award for his wave at North Canyon in Portugal, Garrett also set a new world record for surfing.
McNamara's Biggest Wave Award stems from a 78 footer in Portugal this past November. The Body Glove International team rider was also recognized by Guinness World Records for the 78 foot wave. McNamara's November Portugal ride tops previous record holder Mike Parsons, 2008 Southern California 77 footer.
The Guinness World Record site already acknowledges McNamara as the new record holder, with the height of the wave being authenticated by the Billabong XXL Global Big Wave Awards judging committee.
"It's amazing we get to do what we do, I'm so grateful," McNamara said onstage, accepting the award. "The world record doesn't mean as much to me - this is for the town of Nazaré and Portugal and for all my family and friends there. To be able to give them something to be proud of and inspire them, a world record for this town doing it tough in the middle of nowhere is great," he continued.
Garrett McNamara was born in Pittsfield, Mass., in 1967. In 1978 the future Guinness World Record breaker moved to Hawaii with his family where his passion for surfing took off.
Watch the video of Garrett McNamara ride his record breaking wave here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones