Surfer Garrett McNamara Wins Awards, Breaks Guinness World Record For Biggest Wave, Watch The Video Here [PHOTOS & VIDEO]
By Amanda Remling | May 9, 2012 1:48 AM EST
Garrett McNamara broke records and took home awards at Fridays Billabong XXL Awards. Taking home the Biggest Wave Award for his wave at North Canyon in Portugal, Garrett also set a new world record for surfing.
McNamara's Biggest Wave Award stems from a 78 footer in Portugal this past November. The Body Glove International team rider was also recognized by Guinness World Records for the 78 foot wave. McNamara's November Portugal ride tops previous record holder Mike Parsons, 2008 Southern California 77 footer.
The Guinness World Record site already acknowledges McNamara as the new record holder, with the height of the wave being authenticated by the Billabong XXL Global Big Wave Awards judging committee.
"It's amazing we get to do what we do, I'm so grateful," McNamara said onstage, accepting the award. "The world record doesn't mean as much to me - this is for the town of Nazaré and Portugal and for all my family and friends there. To be able to give them something to be proud of and inspire them, a world record for this town doing it tough in the middle of nowhere is great," he continued.
Garrett McNamara was born in Pittsfield, Mass., in 1967. In 1978 the future Guinness World Record breaker moved to Hawaii with his family where his passion for surfing took off.
Watch the video of Garrett McNamara ride his record breaking wave here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate