‘The Avengers’ Spoiler: About Thanos, The Villain In The Sequel, 'The Avengers 2'
By Amanda Remling | May 9, 2012 12:41 AM EST
WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD
"The Avengers" has been rocking the box office since opening last weekend, and if you were one of the people to help the Marvel movie make box office history, you might have seen a sneak peak of what's to come for the next film.
After the main titles ended in the credits, viewers that stayed in the theater got to see an extra scene. This extra scene was of course used to tease "Avengers 2."
With Loki hopefully learning his lesson (although I highly doubt it), the sequel to "The Avengers" needs a new villain. The extra scene revealed the next villain that the Avengers would have to take on...Thanos.
Those who were in the theater to strictly see the hunks of the movie work up a sweat might not know who Thanos is, but fear not, we have the answers.
According to Marvel.com, Thanos, an Eternal, is one of the last sons of the original colonists of Titan, Saturn's moon. The new villain possesses "the superhuman physiology of all Eternals," states Marvel. This grants Thanos superhuman strength, endurance, reflexes and agility.
Besides his superhuman strength, the Avengers will have a hard time taking on the villain in the next film because Thanos is "immortal, unable to die." Marvel explains that Thanos had a run in with Death in his past that left him cursed with immortality.
Heat, cold, electricity, radiation, toxins, aging and disease are all unable to affect Thanos' skin. Marvel lists psychic attacks as unable to penetrate the monstrous villain.
So what exactly might the Avengers be up against in the next film? Thanos has the ability to project psionic blasts of energy from his eyes and hands. The villain also has technology far more advanced than what the Avengers have access to on Earth. But with Tony Stark, Dr. Banner and Thor, it's safe to say that Thanos has some solid competition.
Yahoo's Movie Talk explains that in the comics, Thanos got his hands on the Cosmic Cube from the film. The cube gave Thanos godlike powers, forcing the Avengers to team up with Spider-Man and The Thing to put an end to his terror.
Director and Writer Joss Whedon explained in an interview that he wanted to include Thanos in "The Avengers" because "he, for me, is the most powerful and fascinating Marvel Villain." Whedon went on to say that "he's the great granddaddy of the bad asses and he's in love with death and I just think that's so cute."
While what Thanos' exact attack on Earth and the Avengers will be is a mystery, ComicBookMovie.com has a real interesting theory about what the future might hold for the superheroes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date