‘The Avengers’ Spoiler: About Thanos, The Villain In The Sequel, 'The Avengers 2'
By Amanda Remling | May 9, 2012 12:41 AM EST
WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD
"The Avengers" has been rocking the box office since opening last weekend, and if you were one of the people to help the Marvel movie make box office history, you might have seen a sneak peak of what's to come for the next film.
After the main titles ended in the credits, viewers that stayed in the theater got to see an extra scene. This extra scene was of course used to tease "Avengers 2."
With Loki hopefully learning his lesson (although I highly doubt it), the sequel to "The Avengers" needs a new villain. The extra scene revealed the next villain that the Avengers would have to take on...Thanos.
Those who were in the theater to strictly see the hunks of the movie work up a sweat might not know who Thanos is, but fear not, we have the answers.
According to Marvel.com, Thanos, an Eternal, is one of the last sons of the original colonists of Titan, Saturn's moon. The new villain possesses "the superhuman physiology of all Eternals," states Marvel. This grants Thanos superhuman strength, endurance, reflexes and agility.
Besides his superhuman strength, the Avengers will have a hard time taking on the villain in the next film because Thanos is "immortal, unable to die." Marvel explains that Thanos had a run in with Death in his past that left him cursed with immortality.
Heat, cold, electricity, radiation, toxins, aging and disease are all unable to affect Thanos' skin. Marvel lists psychic attacks as unable to penetrate the monstrous villain.
So what exactly might the Avengers be up against in the next film? Thanos has the ability to project psionic blasts of energy from his eyes and hands. The villain also has technology far more advanced than what the Avengers have access to on Earth. But with Tony Stark, Dr. Banner and Thor, it's safe to say that Thanos has some solid competition.
Yahoo's Movie Talk explains that in the comics, Thanos got his hands on the Cosmic Cube from the film. The cube gave Thanos godlike powers, forcing the Avengers to team up with Spider-Man and The Thing to put an end to his terror.
Director and Writer Joss Whedon explained in an interview that he wanted to include Thanos in "The Avengers" because "he, for me, is the most powerful and fascinating Marvel Villain." Whedon went on to say that "he's the great granddaddy of the bad asses and he's in love with death and I just think that's so cute."
While what Thanos' exact attack on Earth and the Avengers will be is a mystery, ComicBookMovie.com has a real interesting theory about what the future might hold for the superheroes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Nov. 26, 2014, The Forrester Mansion Is All Decked Out For Thanksgiving With Family And Friends [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid