‘The Avengers’ Spoiler: About Thanos, The Villain In The Sequel, 'The Avengers 2'
By Amanda Remling | May 9, 2012 12:41 AM EST
WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD
"The Avengers" has been rocking the box office since opening last weekend, and if you were one of the people to help the Marvel movie make box office history, you might have seen a sneak peak of what's to come for the next film.
After the main titles ended in the credits, viewers that stayed in the theater got to see an extra scene. This extra scene was of course used to tease "Avengers 2."
With Loki hopefully learning his lesson (although I highly doubt it), the sequel to "The Avengers" needs a new villain. The extra scene revealed the next villain that the Avengers would have to take on...Thanos.
Those who were in the theater to strictly see the hunks of the movie work up a sweat might not know who Thanos is, but fear not, we have the answers.
According to Marvel.com, Thanos, an Eternal, is one of the last sons of the original colonists of Titan, Saturn's moon. The new villain possesses "the superhuman physiology of all Eternals," states Marvel. This grants Thanos superhuman strength, endurance, reflexes and agility.
Besides his superhuman strength, the Avengers will have a hard time taking on the villain in the next film because Thanos is "immortal, unable to die." Marvel explains that Thanos had a run in with Death in his past that left him cursed with immortality.
Heat, cold, electricity, radiation, toxins, aging and disease are all unable to affect Thanos' skin. Marvel lists psychic attacks as unable to penetrate the monstrous villain.
So what exactly might the Avengers be up against in the next film? Thanos has the ability to project psionic blasts of energy from his eyes and hands. The villain also has technology far more advanced than what the Avengers have access to on Earth. But with Tony Stark, Dr. Banner and Thor, it's safe to say that Thanos has some solid competition.
Yahoo's Movie Talk explains that in the comics, Thanos got his hands on the Cosmic Cube from the film. The cube gave Thanos godlike powers, forcing the Avengers to team up with Spider-Man and The Thing to put an end to his terror.
Director and Writer Joss Whedon explained in an interview that he wanted to include Thanos in "The Avengers" because "he, for me, is the most powerful and fascinating Marvel Villain." Whedon went on to say that "he's the great granddaddy of the bad asses and he's in love with death and I just think that's so cute."
While what Thanos' exact attack on Earth and the Avengers will be is a mystery, ComicBookMovie.com has a real interesting theory about what the future might hold for the superheroes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones