‘The Avengers’ Spoiler: About Thanos, The Villain In The Sequel, 'The Avengers 2'
By Amanda Remling | May 9, 2012 12:41 AM EST
WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD
"The Avengers" has been rocking the box office since opening last weekend, and if you were one of the people to help the Marvel movie make box office history, you might have seen a sneak peak of what's to come for the next film.
After the main titles ended in the credits, viewers that stayed in the theater got to see an extra scene. This extra scene was of course used to tease "Avengers 2."
With Loki hopefully learning his lesson (although I highly doubt it), the sequel to "The Avengers" needs a new villain. The extra scene revealed the next villain that the Avengers would have to take on...Thanos.
Those who were in the theater to strictly see the hunks of the movie work up a sweat might not know who Thanos is, but fear not, we have the answers.
According to Marvel.com, Thanos, an Eternal, is one of the last sons of the original colonists of Titan, Saturn's moon. The new villain possesses "the superhuman physiology of all Eternals," states Marvel. This grants Thanos superhuman strength, endurance, reflexes and agility.
Besides his superhuman strength, the Avengers will have a hard time taking on the villain in the next film because Thanos is "immortal, unable to die." Marvel explains that Thanos had a run in with Death in his past that left him cursed with immortality.
Heat, cold, electricity, radiation, toxins, aging and disease are all unable to affect Thanos' skin. Marvel lists psychic attacks as unable to penetrate the monstrous villain.
So what exactly might the Avengers be up against in the next film? Thanos has the ability to project psionic blasts of energy from his eyes and hands. The villain also has technology far more advanced than what the Avengers have access to on Earth. But with Tony Stark, Dr. Banner and Thor, it's safe to say that Thanos has some solid competition.
Yahoo's Movie Talk explains that in the comics, Thanos got his hands on the Cosmic Cube from the film. The cube gave Thanos godlike powers, forcing the Avengers to team up with Spider-Man and The Thing to put an end to his terror.
Director and Writer Joss Whedon explained in an interview that he wanted to include Thanos in "The Avengers" because "he, for me, is the most powerful and fascinating Marvel Villain." Whedon went on to say that "he's the great granddaddy of the bad asses and he's in love with death and I just think that's so cute."
While what Thanos' exact attack on Earth and the Avengers will be is a mystery, ComicBookMovie.com has a real interesting theory about what the future might hold for the superheroes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics