Maurice Sendak Quotes: Beloved Author Dead At 83 [VIDEO]
By Jacob Kleinman | May 9, 2012 12:11 AM EST
Maurice Sendak, one of the most important and groundbreaking children's book artists of the 20th century and author of "Where the Wild Things Are," "In The Night Kitchen," (click to watch original animated movies) and many other timeless stories, died on Tuesday morning in Danbury, Conn., at the age of 83. His death was due to complications from a recent stroke, longtime editor Michael di Capua told the NY Times.
The Times broke the news at 8:18 am with a message on Twitter. The Times obituary, which was published on the front page of the website, praised Sendak as the author "who wrenched the picture book out of the safe, sanitized world of the nursery and plunged it into the dark, terrifying and hauntingly beautiful recesses of the human psyche."
Earlier this year, Maurice Sendak appeared on a special segment of the Colbert Report, where he said, "I don't write for children. I write, and somebody says, 'That's for children'... I like them as few and far between as I do adults."
Here are some of the best and most memorable quotes from Maurice Sendak, in honor of an artist and author who's work touched us all:
"There must be more to life than having everything."
"You cannot write for children. They're much too complicated. You can only write books that are of interest to them."
"I cry a lot because I miss people. They die and I can't stop them. They leave me and I love them more."
"I said anything I wanted because I don't believe in children, I don't believe in childhood. I don't believe that there's a demarcation. 'Oh you mustn't tell them that. You mustn't tell them that.' You tell them anything you want. Just tell them if it's true. If it's true you tell them."
"There is no such thing as fantasy unrelated to reality"
From Where The Wild Things Are:
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
"Please don't go. We'll eat you up. We love you so."
"And Max, the king of all wild things, was lonely and wanted to be where someone loved him best of all."
"And the wild things roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws."
"Then from far away across the world he smelled good things to eat, so he gave up being king of the wild things."
"Let the wild rumpus start!"
From In The Night Kitchen:
"Milk in the batter, milk in the batter. Stir it. Scrape it. Bake it!"
"Mickey poked through and said, 'I'm not the milk and the milk's not be. I'm Mickey!'"
From Nutshell Library:
"Sipping once, sipping twice, sipping chicken soup with rice." -Chicken Soup With Rice [VIDEO]
"A, alligators all around. B, bursting balloons." - Alligators All Around [VIDEO]
Did we forget your favorite Maurice Sendak quote? Leave it in the comments and we'll add it to the article.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date