High School Principal Resigns After Creating Fake Facebook Account To Spy On Students
By Ankita Mehta | May 8, 2012 10:09 PM EST
A high school principal has resigned after stories surfaced claiming that she created a fake Facebook account to keep an eye on her students.
Clayton High School Principal Louise Losos resigned Friday following a leave of absence and accusation of posing as a high school student on Facebook.
The school, however, said that Losos resignation was a "fundamental dispute concerning the appropriate use of social media."
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that Clayton students began getting friend requests from someone calling themselves "Suzy Harriston," and many approved her without a second thought.
Suzy Harriston had 300 people on her friends list and out of that many of them were students of Clayton High School in Saint Louis.
However, on April 5, a 2011 graduate Chase Haslett became suspicious. He posted a public allegation on the Facebook group, "Bring Back Coach Horrell" saying "Suzy" was, in fact, Principal Losos.
"Whoever is friends with Suzy Harriston on Facebook needs to drop them. It is the Clayton Principal," he wrote.
The Facebook group "Bring Back Coach Horrell" was created for a separate incident in which the high school decided to fire Sam Horrell as the football coach after he gave Clayton middle school student's advice related to strength training.
Harriston's profile disappeared soon after Haslett posted the allegations on Facebook, the Kansas City Star reported and the next day the Clayton School District said that the principal would be taking leave of absence the following Monday.
Last Friday, district officials said Losos announced her resignation, which is effective from June 30.
"She will remain on a leave of absence for personal reasons for the remainder of the 2011-2012 school years," according to a district statement provided to Clayton-Richmond Heights Patch.
Meanwhile, Clayton district officials are scheduled to meet the school's faculty and students Monday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown