High School Principal Resigns After Creating Fake Facebook Account To Spy On Students
By Ankita Mehta | May 8, 2012 10:09 PM EST
A high school principal has resigned after stories surfaced claiming that she created a fake Facebook account to keep an eye on her students.
Clayton High School Principal Louise Losos resigned Friday following a leave of absence and accusation of posing as a high school student on Facebook.
The school, however, said that Losos resignation was a "fundamental dispute concerning the appropriate use of social media."
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that Clayton students began getting friend requests from someone calling themselves "Suzy Harriston," and many approved her without a second thought.
Suzy Harriston had 300 people on her friends list and out of that many of them were students of Clayton High School in Saint Louis.
However, on April 5, a 2011 graduate Chase Haslett became suspicious. He posted a public allegation on the Facebook group, "Bring Back Coach Horrell" saying "Suzy" was, in fact, Principal Losos.
"Whoever is friends with Suzy Harriston on Facebook needs to drop them. It is the Clayton Principal," he wrote.
The Facebook group "Bring Back Coach Horrell" was created for a separate incident in which the high school decided to fire Sam Horrell as the football coach after he gave Clayton middle school student's advice related to strength training.
Harriston's profile disappeared soon after Haslett posted the allegations on Facebook, the Kansas City Star reported and the next day the Clayton School District said that the principal would be taking leave of absence the following Monday.
Last Friday, district officials said Losos announced her resignation, which is effective from June 30.
"She will remain on a leave of absence for personal reasons for the remainder of the 2011-2012 school years," according to a district statement provided to Clayton-Richmond Heights Patch.
Meanwhile, Clayton district officials are scheduled to meet the school's faculty and students Monday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Video of Kids Reaction to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Goes Viral [Watch YouTube Clip]
- PM Tony Abbott’s Adviser Advocates Return of Using Cane to Discipline Students
- Survey Says 37% of Investors Consider Books, Magazines & Online Media as Best Sources of ‘Education’
- Fourth of July Guide On Do's and Don'ts On Firework Sounds For Your Dogs
- Students in Australia to Pay Higher University Fees Unless Tax is Increased
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers