Madonna Infringes Copyright of a Sydney Artist for her Truth or Dare Perfume?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | May 8, 2012 1:46 PM EST
The Queen of Pop, Madonna, will be sued by a Sydney-based artist over breaching copyright.
Artist, RJ Williams, who claimed that Madonna's perfume logo largely resembles his "M" symbol that he has been using in his paintings and clothing for the last eight years. Moreover, Williams said that he had the sign trademarked last year.
Madonna's 'Truth or Dare' perfume was launched last month. Since then, Williams received calls expressing their disgust and support.
"It's about my integrity as an artist. I do not think it should be able to be used by a giant cosmetics company," Williams said.
Williams already sent a legal letter to Madonna's agent Guy Oseary that requests the star to immediately stop infringing his copyright and enter the license with him for future use of the symbol. Moreover, the artists requested for a share of the profits that the product made so far.
Apparently, Madonna and his agent have not responded to the artist yet.
Madonna's History of Copyright Violations
This is not the first time that Madonna is charged with lawsuits related to plagiarism and copyright infringement. The singer faced a lot of lawsuits on the duration of her career as a pop artist.
The singer was charged with a copyright lawsuit by Samuel Bourdin for using the racy images of his father, the French photographer Guy Bourdin, for her "Hollywood" music video. Madonna settled the lawsuit quietly and the details of the settlement were never revealed.
Madonna released another hit song "Frozen." However, the singer faced another plagiarism battle when Belgian songwriter Salvatore Acquaviva claimed that 1998 hit song, "Frozen," was lifted from his "Ma Vie Fout L'camp (My Life's Getting Nowhere)".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- Ryan Gosling And Eva Mendes Gushes Over Newborn Daughter
- ‘Top Gun 2’ Update: ‘The Jungle Book’ Writer Onboard, Tom Cruise Likely To Reprise His Role
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 New Teaser Video, Spoilers: ‘Don’t Hesitate, They Won’t’
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation