Madonna Infringes Copyright of a Sydney Artist for her Truth or Dare Perfume?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | May 8, 2012 1:46 PM EST
The Queen of Pop, Madonna, will be sued by a Sydney-based artist over breaching copyright.
Artist, RJ Williams, who claimed that Madonna's perfume logo largely resembles his "M" symbol that he has been using in his paintings and clothing for the last eight years. Moreover, Williams said that he had the sign trademarked last year.
Madonna's 'Truth or Dare' perfume was launched last month. Since then, Williams received calls expressing their disgust and support.
"It's about my integrity as an artist. I do not think it should be able to be used by a giant cosmetics company," Williams said.
Williams already sent a legal letter to Madonna's agent Guy Oseary that requests the star to immediately stop infringing his copyright and enter the license with him for future use of the symbol. Moreover, the artists requested for a share of the profits that the product made so far.
Apparently, Madonna and his agent have not responded to the artist yet.
Madonna's History of Copyright Violations
This is not the first time that Madonna is charged with lawsuits related to plagiarism and copyright infringement. The singer faced a lot of lawsuits on the duration of her career as a pop artist.
The singer was charged with a copyright lawsuit by Samuel Bourdin for using the racy images of his father, the French photographer Guy Bourdin, for her "Hollywood" music video. Madonna settled the lawsuit quietly and the details of the settlement were never revealed.
Madonna released another hit song "Frozen." However, the singer faced another plagiarism battle when Belgian songwriter Salvatore Acquaviva claimed that 1998 hit song, "Frozen," was lifted from his "Ma Vie Fout L'camp (My Life's Getting Nowhere)".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air