Madonna Infringes Copyright of a Sydney Artist for her Truth or Dare Perfume?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | May 8, 2012 1:46 PM EST
The Queen of Pop, Madonna, will be sued by a Sydney-based artist over breaching copyright.
Artist, RJ Williams, who claimed that Madonna's perfume logo largely resembles his "M" symbol that he has been using in his paintings and clothing for the last eight years. Moreover, Williams said that he had the sign trademarked last year.
Madonna's 'Truth or Dare' perfume was launched last month. Since then, Williams received calls expressing their disgust and support.
"It's about my integrity as an artist. I do not think it should be able to be used by a giant cosmetics company," Williams said.
Williams already sent a legal letter to Madonna's agent Guy Oseary that requests the star to immediately stop infringing his copyright and enter the license with him for future use of the symbol. Moreover, the artists requested for a share of the profits that the product made so far.
Apparently, Madonna and his agent have not responded to the artist yet.
Madonna's History of Copyright Violations
This is not the first time that Madonna is charged with lawsuits related to plagiarism and copyright infringement. The singer faced a lot of lawsuits on the duration of her career as a pop artist.
The singer was charged with a copyright lawsuit by Samuel Bourdin for using the racy images of his father, the French photographer Guy Bourdin, for her "Hollywood" music video. Madonna settled the lawsuit quietly and the details of the settlement were never revealed.
Madonna released another hit song "Frozen." However, the singer faced another plagiarism battle when Belgian songwriter Salvatore Acquaviva claimed that 1998 hit song, "Frozen," was lifted from his "Ma Vie Fout L'camp (My Life's Getting Nowhere)".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28