Madonna Infringes Copyright of a Sydney Artist for her Truth or Dare Perfume?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | May 8, 2012 1:46 PM EST
The Queen of Pop, Madonna, will be sued by a Sydney-based artist over breaching copyright.
Artist, RJ Williams, who claimed that Madonna's perfume logo largely resembles his "M" symbol that he has been using in his paintings and clothing for the last eight years. Moreover, Williams said that he had the sign trademarked last year.
Madonna's 'Truth or Dare' perfume was launched last month. Since then, Williams received calls expressing their disgust and support.
"It's about my integrity as an artist. I do not think it should be able to be used by a giant cosmetics company," Williams said.
Williams already sent a legal letter to Madonna's agent Guy Oseary that requests the star to immediately stop infringing his copyright and enter the license with him for future use of the symbol. Moreover, the artists requested for a share of the profits that the product made so far.
Apparently, Madonna and his agent have not responded to the artist yet.
Madonna's History of Copyright Violations
This is not the first time that Madonna is charged with lawsuits related to plagiarism and copyright infringement. The singer faced a lot of lawsuits on the duration of her career as a pop artist.
The singer was charged with a copyright lawsuit by Samuel Bourdin for using the racy images of his father, the French photographer Guy Bourdin, for her "Hollywood" music video. Madonna settled the lawsuit quietly and the details of the settlement were never revealed.
Madonna released another hit song "Frozen." However, the singer faced another plagiarism battle when Belgian songwriter Salvatore Acquaviva claimed that 1998 hit song, "Frozen," was lifted from his "Ma Vie Fout L'camp (My Life's Getting Nowhere)".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’