Madonna Infringes Copyright of a Sydney Artist for her Truth or Dare Perfume?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | May 8, 2012 1:46 PM EST
The Queen of Pop, Madonna, will be sued by a Sydney-based artist over breaching copyright.
Artist, RJ Williams, who claimed that Madonna's perfume logo largely resembles his "M" symbol that he has been using in his paintings and clothing for the last eight years. Moreover, Williams said that he had the sign trademarked last year.
Madonna's 'Truth or Dare' perfume was launched last month. Since then, Williams received calls expressing their disgust and support.
"It's about my integrity as an artist. I do not think it should be able to be used by a giant cosmetics company," Williams said.
Williams already sent a legal letter to Madonna's agent Guy Oseary that requests the star to immediately stop infringing his copyright and enter the license with him for future use of the symbol. Moreover, the artists requested for a share of the profits that the product made so far.
Apparently, Madonna and his agent have not responded to the artist yet.
Madonna's History of Copyright Violations
This is not the first time that Madonna is charged with lawsuits related to plagiarism and copyright infringement. The singer faced a lot of lawsuits on the duration of her career as a pop artist.
The singer was charged with a copyright lawsuit by Samuel Bourdin for using the racy images of his father, the French photographer Guy Bourdin, for her "Hollywood" music video. Madonna settled the lawsuit quietly and the details of the settlement were never revealed.
Madonna released another hit song "Frozen." However, the singer faced another plagiarism battle when Belgian songwriter Salvatore Acquaviva claimed that 1998 hit song, "Frozen," was lifted from his "Ma Vie Fout L'camp (My Life's Getting Nowhere)".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy