Evernote Acquires Penultimate After Raising $70M at $1B Valuation
By Michael Nunez | May 8, 2012 1:17 AM EST
In the wake of raising $70 million in a Series D round of funding at a $1 billion valuation, the popular cloud-based note-taking service Evernote announced it acquired Cocoa Box Design, the publisher of popular iPad handwriting app Penultimate.
Penultimate -- which allows iPad users to take handwritten notes, sketches and perform other notebook-like services -- supported Evernote integration prior to its acquisition. The aquisition will undoubtedly give the popular iPad software better cloud-storage capabilities. At the moment, pages that users create in Penultimate can be exported to Evernote and cloud-storage locker Dropbox.
"Realizing that Evernote and Penultimate have such obviously complementary technologies, we're teaming up," said Penultimate creator Ben Zotto in a blog post this morning. "Evernote has acquired Penultimate, and I'll be joining Evernote to help bring their significant resources to bear on making Penultimate better, faster. You'll also start seeing Penultimate (finally!) on other devices, and we'll be bringing great handwriting into other parts of Evernote."
Evernote CEO Phil Libin was quick to note that Penultimate will remain on course . "Penultimate will stay a separate, elegant application and will get many much-requested Evernote-y improvements including full search and synchronization," said Libin on the Evernote blog. "Ben will also lead the effort to put handwriting and digital ink functionality into other Evernote products and platforms, so you'll see handwriting cross-pollination popping up everywhere."
In a Cnet report, Libin said that handwritten notes were at the heart of Evernote since the beginning, but over time, the company shifted its focus to text-based note-taking. He also said that Evernote's character recognition technology will make Penultimate notes searchable and will leverage the features in Penultimate.
Terms of the sale have not been disclosed. Cnet reports that Zotto is already working out of the Evernote office in Mountain View, Calif. Zotto and Libin made the announcement in a short video posted on the Evernote blog.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- 'Assassin's Creed' Update: 'Unity' And 'Rogue' Not A Multiplayer Player Game, Ubisoft Confirms
- HTC One Mini 2 vs. Nexus 5 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Weekend Event For San Andreas Flight School Update And A Deals With Gold Offer
- iPhone 5 vs. LG G3 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- Xbox One News: Possible 24-Hour Free Games, 5M Approved Units In China And Continuing Resolution Issues
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports