Kentucky Derby Highlights: Race Video, And Recap With Winners
By Peter Martin | May 6, 2012 9:20 AM EST
I'll Have Another -- a 15-1 shot -- broke late, but closed the five-length lead held by the favorite Bodemeister in the final 300 yards to win the 138th Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs in Louisville on Saturday.
I'll Have Another, owned by J. Paul Reddam and trained by Doug O'Neill, was ridden to victory by a Mario Gutierrez, a 25-year-old Derby rookie from Mexico.
The race opened with Bodemeister leading out of the gate, Trinniberg hot on his heels, and Hansen back in third. The field remained that way through the first turn, with I'll Have Another in seventh place. The field was flying, posting the fifth-fastest mile in Derby history -- and most of the horses could not keep up with the pace set by Bodemeister.
I'll Have Another closed to second, but was still five lengths back of the favorite with 300 yards to go. However, an incredible charge down the stretch gave the relative unknown a win by half a length.
This is O'Neill's first Derby win. In 2007, he trained two horses that ran in the race: In the 20-horse field, Great Hunter finished 13th, and Liquidity finished 14th.
The next race in the Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing -- the Preakness Stakes -- will be run at the Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore on May 19.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine