Kentucky Derby Highlights: Race Video, And Recap With Winners
By Peter Martin | May 6, 2012 9:20 AM EST
I'll Have Another -- a 15-1 shot -- broke late, but closed the five-length lead held by the favorite Bodemeister in the final 300 yards to win the 138th Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs in Louisville on Saturday.
I'll Have Another, owned by J. Paul Reddam and trained by Doug O'Neill, was ridden to victory by a Mario Gutierrez, a 25-year-old Derby rookie from Mexico.
The race opened with Bodemeister leading out of the gate, Trinniberg hot on his heels, and Hansen back in third. The field remained that way through the first turn, with I'll Have Another in seventh place. The field was flying, posting the fifth-fastest mile in Derby history -- and most of the horses could not keep up with the pace set by Bodemeister.
I'll Have Another closed to second, but was still five lengths back of the favorite with 300 yards to go. However, an incredible charge down the stretch gave the relative unknown a win by half a length.
This is O'Neill's first Derby win. In 2007, he trained two horses that ran in the race: In the 20-horse field, Great Hunter finished 13th, and Liquidity finished 14th.
The next race in the Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing -- the Preakness Stakes -- will be run at the Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore on May 19.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet