Kentucky Derby Highlights: Race Video, And Recap With Winners
By Peter Martin | May 6, 2012 9:20 AM EST
I'll Have Another -- a 15-1 shot -- broke late, but closed the five-length lead held by the favorite Bodemeister in the final 300 yards to win the 138th Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs in Louisville on Saturday.
I'll Have Another, owned by J. Paul Reddam and trained by Doug O'Neill, was ridden to victory by a Mario Gutierrez, a 25-year-old Derby rookie from Mexico.
The race opened with Bodemeister leading out of the gate, Trinniberg hot on his heels, and Hansen back in third. The field remained that way through the first turn, with I'll Have Another in seventh place. The field was flying, posting the fifth-fastest mile in Derby history -- and most of the horses could not keep up with the pace set by Bodemeister.
I'll Have Another closed to second, but was still five lengths back of the favorite with 300 yards to go. However, an incredible charge down the stretch gave the relative unknown a win by half a length.
This is O'Neill's first Derby win. In 2007, he trained two horses that ran in the race: In the 20-horse field, Great Hunter finished 13th, and Liquidity finished 14th.
The next race in the Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing -- the Preakness Stakes -- will be run at the Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore on May 19.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Manchester United Owners Set To Sell Club In £3B Deal After Acquiring Cristiano Ronaldo, Report Says
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes