Kentucky Derby Highlights: Race Video, And Recap With Winners
By Peter Martin | May 6, 2012 9:20 AM EST
I'll Have Another -- a 15-1 shot -- broke late, but closed the five-length lead held by the favorite Bodemeister in the final 300 yards to win the 138th Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs in Louisville on Saturday.
I'll Have Another, owned by J. Paul Reddam and trained by Doug O'Neill, was ridden to victory by a Mario Gutierrez, a 25-year-old Derby rookie from Mexico.
The race opened with Bodemeister leading out of the gate, Trinniberg hot on his heels, and Hansen back in third. The field remained that way through the first turn, with I'll Have Another in seventh place. The field was flying, posting the fifth-fastest mile in Derby history -- and most of the horses could not keep up with the pace set by Bodemeister.
I'll Have Another closed to second, but was still five lengths back of the favorite with 300 yards to go. However, an incredible charge down the stretch gave the relative unknown a win by half a length.
This is O'Neill's first Derby win. In 2007, he trained two horses that ran in the race: In the 20-horse field, Great Hunter finished 13th, and Liquidity finished 14th.
The next race in the Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing -- the Preakness Stakes -- will be run at the Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore on May 19.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar