Happy Free Comic Book Day! Where To Get Your Free Comic Across the Country And In New York
By Jacob Kleinman | May 6, 2012 2:47 AM EST
Free Comic Book Day, an annual promotional event by the North American comic book industry to create new fans and reward the old, takes place on the first Sunday of every May. Click here for to find the store closest to you by entering your postal code and read on for a guide on how to celebrate National Comic Book Day if you're in NY.
Across the country today free comics first serve basis. Comic book stores and participating libraries will offer each participant one comic book. The number one comic up for grabs today is "The Avengers, Age of Ultron Point One." Also being offered are "The Simpsons," "SpongeBob SquarePants," Peanuts, "Star Wars," "Transformers," "Yo Gabba Gabba," Animal Planet, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Burt Ward: Boy Wonder," Superman, The Smurfs, Sonic the Hedgehog, Spider-Man, Donald Duck and "Witchblade" comic books.
In New York City, the Mid-Manhattan library will be giving out free comic books starting at 1 pm. If you want to score a second comic book at the library like the library's Facebook page or follow them on Twitter and you may receive a second free give-away.
In Manhattan you can also get a free comic book at Manhattan Comics in the East 20s. If you have easier access to Midtown, drop by Midtown Comics. Jim Hanley's Universe at 4 West 33rd Street is also an option, as is Forbidden Planet www.fpnyc.com by Union Square. If you prefer the Village to Midtown, check out either St Mark's Comics at 11 St Mark's Place in the East Village, or Sleep of Reaon Comics at 47 West 8th Street. In the Financial District, visit Chameleon Comics & Cards http://www.yelp.com/biz/chameleon-comics-and-cards-new-york-2 at 3 Maiden Lane.
In Brooklyn there are plenty of comic book stores to choose from, including Bergen Comics, 470 Bergen St., Park Slope, Bulletproof Comics, 2178 Nostrand Ave., Crown Heights, St. Mark's Comics, 148 Montague St., Brooklyn Heights, Northside Comics, 265 Lee Ave., Bushwick, Brooklyn Comics and More, 493 Seventh Ave., Park Slope, and Galaxy Comics, 123 Seventh Ave., Park Slope.
If you're in Massachusetts, visit the Norman Rockwell Museum, where free comics will be up for grabs from 2 to 4:20 pm. The museum is currently running a comic book exhibition, titled "Heroes Your Mom Threw Out."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims