Gold & Silver: Gold Breaks 4-Day Losing Streak
By Eric McWhinnie | May 5, 2012 5:23 AM EST
On Friday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for June delivery increased $10.40 to settle at $1,645.20 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures gained 42 cents to close at $30.43. Although gold prices closed higher for the first time this week, they fell nearly 2 percent this week.
Both precious metals finished the day higher after a dismal unemployment report. According to the Labor Department, nonfarm payrolls increased by 115,000 last month, compared to estimates close to 170,000. Private companies added 130,000 jobs, with the majority coming from the service sector. Manufacturing jobs increased by only 16,000. Although the unemployment rate ticked down to 8.1 percent in April from 8.2 percent in March, a lower labor force participation rate created most of the decline.
Don’t Miss: What Do Americans Think About Gold?
“The implication of the jobs report is near-term weakness [in stocks], but there’s a floor because Ben Bernanke could be there to flood the system with money. That’s the psychology that’s embedded in the market,” said Paul Simon, chief investment officer of Tactical Allocation Group, according to WSJ.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased .43 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) climbed .80 percent higher. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) jumped 2.4 percent and 1.3 percent, respectively. Silver names were mixed on the day. Shares of Silver Wheaton Corp. (NYSE:SLW) fell 1.6 percent, but First Majestic (NYSE:AG) increased 2 percent.
Investor Insight: Why Gold & Silver Act as Safe-Havens Today
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements