Gold & Silver: Gold Breaks 4-Day Losing Streak
By Eric McWhinnie | May 5, 2012 5:23 AM EST
On Friday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for June delivery increased $10.40 to settle at $1,645.20 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures gained 42 cents to close at $30.43. Although gold prices closed higher for the first time this week, they fell nearly 2 percent this week.
Both precious metals finished the day higher after a dismal unemployment report. According to the Labor Department, nonfarm payrolls increased by 115,000 last month, compared to estimates close to 170,000. Private companies added 130,000 jobs, with the majority coming from the service sector. Manufacturing jobs increased by only 16,000. Although the unemployment rate ticked down to 8.1 percent in April from 8.2 percent in March, a lower labor force participation rate created most of the decline.
Don’t Miss: What Do Americans Think About Gold?
“The implication of the jobs report is near-term weakness [in stocks], but there’s a floor because Ben Bernanke could be there to flood the system with money. That’s the psychology that’s embedded in the market,” said Paul Simon, chief investment officer of Tactical Allocation Group, according to WSJ.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased .43 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) climbed .80 percent higher. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) jumped 2.4 percent and 1.3 percent, respectively. Silver names were mixed on the day. Shares of Silver Wheaton Corp. (NYSE:SLW) fell 1.6 percent, but First Majestic (NYSE:AG) increased 2 percent.
Investor Insight: Why Gold & Silver Act as Safe-Havens Today
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’