Gold & Silver: Gold Breaks 4-Day Losing Streak
By Eric McWhinnie | May 5, 2012 5:23 AM EST
On Friday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for June delivery increased $10.40 to settle at $1,645.20 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures gained 42 cents to close at $30.43. Although gold prices closed higher for the first time this week, they fell nearly 2 percent this week.
Both precious metals finished the day higher after a dismal unemployment report. According to the Labor Department, nonfarm payrolls increased by 115,000 last month, compared to estimates close to 170,000. Private companies added 130,000 jobs, with the majority coming from the service sector. Manufacturing jobs increased by only 16,000. Although the unemployment rate ticked down to 8.1 percent in April from 8.2 percent in March, a lower labor force participation rate created most of the decline.
Don’t Miss: What Do Americans Think About Gold?
“The implication of the jobs report is near-term weakness [in stocks], but there’s a floor because Ben Bernanke could be there to flood the system with money. That’s the psychology that’s embedded in the market,” said Paul Simon, chief investment officer of Tactical Allocation Group, according to WSJ.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased .43 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) climbed .80 percent higher. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) jumped 2.4 percent and 1.3 percent, respectively. Silver names were mixed on the day. Shares of Silver Wheaton Corp. (NYSE:SLW) fell 1.6 percent, but First Majestic (NYSE:AG) increased 2 percent.
Investor Insight: Why Gold & Silver Act as Safe-Havens Today
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS