Tanorexic Mother Patricia Krentcil Calls Critics Of Her Tanning ‘Jealous, Fat And Ugly’ [PHOTOS]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 5, 2012 2:52 AM EST
Patricia Krentcil is tan and proud.
The tanorexic New Jersey mother accused of bringing her redheaded, five-year-old daughter into a tanning booth with her recently called critics of her tanning "jealous, fat and ugly."
"There's somebody out there for my whole life that doesn't like me because they are jealous, fat and they're ugly," Patricia Krencil told a reporter on Thursday, according to the Daily Mail.
Krentcil even responded to Snooki, who had one simple description of Krentcil -- "that b---- is crazy."
"She's the biggest a--hole in the world. She's fake, she's fat, her t-ts are fake, she's disgusting," the tanxorexic mom told TMZ of the "Jersey Shore" reality star.
Krentcil was arrested and charged with second-degree child endangerment after being accused of taking her five-year-old daughter, Anna, into the tanning booth with her. Anna developed a rash and told a nurse at her school that it was from tanning with her mother. The nurse then reported the incident to authorities.
New Jersey law states that no one under the age of 14 is allowed to use a tanning bed. Teenagers over 14 but under 18 may use such facilities, but only with parental approval.
Patricia Krentcil is pleading not guilty.
"I would never, ever put my daughter in a tanning booth," she told a TMZ reporter. "Any mother who makes an accusation about me is not a mother because I'm a great mother - I would never do that to my child."
If taking a five-year-old child into a tanning booth is not enough to raise eyebrows, Krentcil's tanorexic appearance is.
The 44-year-old has darkly tanned, leathery skin that stands out against her bleached-blonde hair and pale lips. Some have compared Krentcil to the old lady in the 1998 comedy "There's Something About Mary."
When reporters questioned her appearance, Patricia Krentcil brushed them off.
"I've been tanning my whole life," she told a New York Daily News reporter. "I'm from Long Island. I go to Cabo. It's my relaxation." As for the health concerns, she said, "Like smoking or drinking isn't dangerous? And would she return to her regimen of 20 monthly visits to the tanning salon?"
Her tanorexic condition is one of the craziest health professionals have ever seen.
"In all my years of treating patients as a dermatologist, I have never encountered anything like this," Dermatologist Dr. Joshua Zeichner told the NY Daily News. "Going to a tanning salon 20 times a month, frankly, is insane, especially with all of the public education and awareness campaigns on the dangers of tanning beds and skin cancers."
"It may be she has an addiction to tanning, which actually now has a name - tanorexia. She may need help to treat not only the damage to her skin, but also what is going on with her psychologically," he added.
Skin cancer is on the rise amongst young adults, according to a study published in early April as reported by the New York Daily News.
Between the years 1970 and 2009, the rate of melanoma shot up eightfold among women and quadrupled among men, according to the research by Mayo Clinic. Researchers studied the medical records of a county in Minnesota over that given timespan.
Lead investigator Jerry Brewer, M.D., a Mayo Clinic dermatologist, noted the "dramatic rise in women in their 20s and 30s."
"We anticipated we'd find rising rates, as other studies are suggesting, but we found an even higher incidence than the National Cancer Institute had reported," he told the NY Daily News.
Ultraviolet lights in tanning beds are particular dangerous, as UV light can damage DNA and cause mutations as well as cancer, according to ABC News.
"There's really no excuse to take a young child to a tanning salon," New York dermatologist Doris Day told ABC News. "We often consider going to a tanning salon the equivalent of smoking for the skin and the younger you start, those affects are cumulative."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- 'Boob Aid': Japanese Porn Stars 'Excited' For 24HR Breasts Squeezing Charity
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique