Pakistan: Suicide Bombing Kills At Least 20 In Bajaur
By Palash R. Ghosh | May 4, 2012 11:34 PM EST
A suspected suicide bombing in Pakistan’s remote Bajaur tribal district in the northwest has killed at least 20 people and wounded at least 45, according to reports.
The blast, which apparently targeted security forces near a market in the village of Tehsil Khar, killed four or five tribal policemen, but also many civilians and bystanders.
BBC reported that the alleged bomber travelled on foot and carried an explosive in his vest which detonated when he arrived at a police checkpoint.
The Pakistan Tribune newspaper reported that the bomber appeared to be between the age of 14 and 18, according to eyewitnesses
Maulvi Faqir, leader of Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) --- the local Pakistan Taliban -- claimed responsibility for the attack, although local officials have not confirmed that assertion. Faqir alleged that he was seeking revenge on a commander who had killed some of his compatriots last year.
A spokesman for TTP, Ehsanullah Ehsan, told Reuters: “We carried out the attack today. We are very happy today that we have achieved our target.”
Bajaur, which is near the Afghanistan border, has frequently witnessed fighting between Taliban militants and Pakistani soldiers.
Police have imposed a strict curfew in the area, which they have long claimed was secure anyway.
TTP is not directly affiliated with the Afghan Taliban and is dedicated to overthrowing the Pakistani state. TTP has been blamed for a wide variety of attacks on Pakistani institutions and government officials, including the December 2007 assassination of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell