Gold and Silver Decline After Jobs Report
By Eric McWhinnie | May 3, 2012 5:29 AM EST
Both precious metals struggled as the private-sector added fewer jobs than predicted. According to a report by ADP, employment in the private sector increased by only 119,000 jobs in April, well below expectations of 170,000. Service-sector jobs increased by 123,000, but manufacturing and construction jobs both fell by 5,000 each.
Don’t Miss: Do Central Banks Still Love Gold?
“This is an upsetting report,” said David Carter, chief investment officer at Lenox Advisors in New York, according to Reuters. “The strength of the U.S. economic rebound is clearly still uncertain. Hopefully we don’t get a third consecutive summer of weaker growth.” The markets still await the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ nonfarm-payroll data, which is to be released on Friday.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) decreased .43 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) dropped 1.10 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as AngloGold Ashanti (NYSE:AU) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) both declined more than 2 percent. Silver miners (NYSEARCA:SIL) such as First Majestic (NYSE:AG) and Silvercorp Metals (NYSE:SVM) dropped 2.9 percent and 3.3 percent, respectively.
Shares of Barrick Gold Corp. (NYSE:ABX) fell 2.5 percent, despite reporting higher profits in the first-quarter. The miner said net income increased to $1.03 billion, compared to $1.0 billion a year earlier. Revenue increased 18 percent to $3.64 billion, but analysts were expecting $3.74 billion.
Investor Insight: What Do Americans Think About Gold?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]