Gold and Silver Decline After Jobs Report
By Eric McWhinnie | May 3, 2012 5:29 AM EST
Both precious metals struggled as the private-sector added fewer jobs than predicted. According to a report by ADP, employment in the private sector increased by only 119,000 jobs in April, well below expectations of 170,000. Service-sector jobs increased by 123,000, but manufacturing and construction jobs both fell by 5,000 each.
Don’t Miss: Do Central Banks Still Love Gold?
“This is an upsetting report,” said David Carter, chief investment officer at Lenox Advisors in New York, according to Reuters. “The strength of the U.S. economic rebound is clearly still uncertain. Hopefully we don’t get a third consecutive summer of weaker growth.” The markets still await the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ nonfarm-payroll data, which is to be released on Friday.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) decreased .43 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) dropped 1.10 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as AngloGold Ashanti (NYSE:AU) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) both declined more than 2 percent. Silver miners (NYSEARCA:SIL) such as First Majestic (NYSE:AG) and Silvercorp Metals (NYSE:SVM) dropped 2.9 percent and 3.3 percent, respectively.
Shares of Barrick Gold Corp. (NYSE:ABX) fell 2.5 percent, despite reporting higher profits in the first-quarter. The miner said net income increased to $1.03 billion, compared to $1.0 billion a year earlier. Revenue increased 18 percent to $3.64 billion, but analysts were expecting $3.74 billion.
Investor Insight: What Do Americans Think About Gold?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone