Gold and Silver Decline After Jobs Report
By Eric McWhinnie | May 3, 2012 5:29 AM EST
Both precious metals struggled as the private-sector added fewer jobs than predicted. According to a report by ADP, employment in the private sector increased by only 119,000 jobs in April, well below expectations of 170,000. Service-sector jobs increased by 123,000, but manufacturing and construction jobs both fell by 5,000 each.
Don’t Miss: Do Central Banks Still Love Gold?
“This is an upsetting report,” said David Carter, chief investment officer at Lenox Advisors in New York, according to Reuters. “The strength of the U.S. economic rebound is clearly still uncertain. Hopefully we don’t get a third consecutive summer of weaker growth.” The markets still await the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ nonfarm-payroll data, which is to be released on Friday.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) decreased .43 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) dropped 1.10 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as AngloGold Ashanti (NYSE:AU) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) both declined more than 2 percent. Silver miners (NYSEARCA:SIL) such as First Majestic (NYSE:AG) and Silvercorp Metals (NYSE:SVM) dropped 2.9 percent and 3.3 percent, respectively.
Shares of Barrick Gold Corp. (NYSE:ABX) fell 2.5 percent, despite reporting higher profits in the first-quarter. The miner said net income increased to $1.03 billion, compared to $1.0 billion a year earlier. Revenue increased 18 percent to $3.64 billion, but analysts were expecting $3.74 billion.
Investor Insight: What Do Americans Think About Gold?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff