Gold and Silver Edge Lower after Manufacturing Report
By Eric McWhinnie | May 2, 2012 5:09 AM EST
Both precious metals remained relatively quiet as the U.S. manufacturing sector showed expansion in April. According to the Institute for Supply Management, the manufacturing purchasing managers’ index last month increased to 54.8, compared to 53.4 in March. It was the fastest pace since June. A reading above 50 signals expansion.
Don’t Miss: Gold & Silver: Bernanke Overshadows FOMC Minutes
Economists were expecting a slight decrease in the index to 52.9. Ellen Zenter, a senior U.S. economist at Nomura Securities International Inc., said, “Manufacturing continues to be a bright spot in the recovery. We have yet to see a drop-off in foreign demand for U.S. manufactured goods and that comes despite all the concerns of a slowdown in the global economy,” according to Bloomberg.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) declined .32 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) traded flat. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and AngloGold Ashanti (NYSE:AU) edged .20 percent and .61 percent higher. Silver investments such as Hecla Mining Co. (NYSE:HL) and Silver Wheaton Corp. (NYSE:SLW) increased 2.3 percent and .21 percent, but Pan American Silver Corp. (NASDAQ:PAAS) fell 1.08 percent.
Investor Insight: Do Central Banks Still Love Gold?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]