Gold and Silver Edge Lower after Manufacturing Report
By Eric McWhinnie | May 2, 2012 5:09 AM EST
Both precious metals remained relatively quiet as the U.S. manufacturing sector showed expansion in April. According to the Institute for Supply Management, the manufacturing purchasing managers’ index last month increased to 54.8, compared to 53.4 in March. It was the fastest pace since June. A reading above 50 signals expansion.
Don’t Miss: Gold & Silver: Bernanke Overshadows FOMC Minutes
Economists were expecting a slight decrease in the index to 52.9. Ellen Zenter, a senior U.S. economist at Nomura Securities International Inc., said, “Manufacturing continues to be a bright spot in the recovery. We have yet to see a drop-off in foreign demand for U.S. manufactured goods and that comes despite all the concerns of a slowdown in the global economy,” according to Bloomberg.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) declined .32 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) traded flat. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and AngloGold Ashanti (NYSE:AU) edged .20 percent and .61 percent higher. Silver investments such as Hecla Mining Co. (NYSE:HL) and Silver Wheaton Corp. (NYSE:SLW) increased 2.3 percent and .21 percent, but Pan American Silver Corp. (NASDAQ:PAAS) fell 1.08 percent.
Investor Insight: Do Central Banks Still Love Gold?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet