Gold and Silver Finish Session Mixed
By Eric McWhinnie | May 1, 2012 5:04 AM EST
Precious metals were mixed as Spain’s economy contracted for the second consecutive quarter. Today, Spain’s statistics bureau said the country’s economy contracted 0.3 percent in the first-quarter from the previous quarter. Furthermore, Standard & Poor’s announced it had cut the credit rating of 16 Spanish banks.
Don’t Miss: Gold & Silver: Bernanke Overshadows FOMC Minutes
“The Spanish economy is back in recession,” said Martin van Vliet, senior economist at ING. “No expenditure breakdown is available at this stage, but the Bank of Spain has said that domestic demand contracted sharply, and that net exports made a positive contribution to GDP, with imports falling at a faster pace than exports. Spain is clearly rebalancing the painful way. Looking ahead, we fear that things are likely to get worse before they get better,” Mr. van Vliet said in a client note, according to WSJ.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased .23 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) declined .82 percent. Despite the slight gains in the spot price for gold, gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) both fell about .60 percent. Meanwhile, silver investments such as Silver Wheaton Corp. (NYSE:SLW) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) jumped .93 percent and 4.2 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Do Central Banks Still Love Gold?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones