Gold and Silver Finish Session Mixed
By Eric McWhinnie | May 1, 2012 5:04 AM EST
Precious metals were mixed as Spain’s economy contracted for the second consecutive quarter. Today, Spain’s statistics bureau said the country’s economy contracted 0.3 percent in the first-quarter from the previous quarter. Furthermore, Standard & Poor’s announced it had cut the credit rating of 16 Spanish banks.
Don’t Miss: Gold & Silver: Bernanke Overshadows FOMC Minutes
“The Spanish economy is back in recession,” said Martin van Vliet, senior economist at ING. “No expenditure breakdown is available at this stage, but the Bank of Spain has said that domestic demand contracted sharply, and that net exports made a positive contribution to GDP, with imports falling at a faster pace than exports. Spain is clearly rebalancing the painful way. Looking ahead, we fear that things are likely to get worse before they get better,” Mr. van Vliet said in a client note, according to WSJ.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased .23 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) declined .82 percent. Despite the slight gains in the spot price for gold, gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) both fell about .60 percent. Meanwhile, silver investments such as Silver Wheaton Corp. (NYSE:SLW) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) jumped .93 percent and 4.2 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Do Central Banks Still Love Gold?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast