Gold and Silver Finish Session Mixed
By Eric McWhinnie | May 1, 2012 5:04 AM EST
Precious metals were mixed as Spain’s economy contracted for the second consecutive quarter. Today, Spain’s statistics bureau said the country’s economy contracted 0.3 percent in the first-quarter from the previous quarter. Furthermore, Standard & Poor’s announced it had cut the credit rating of 16 Spanish banks.
Don’t Miss: Gold & Silver: Bernanke Overshadows FOMC Minutes
“The Spanish economy is back in recession,” said Martin van Vliet, senior economist at ING. “No expenditure breakdown is available at this stage, but the Bank of Spain has said that domestic demand contracted sharply, and that net exports made a positive contribution to GDP, with imports falling at a faster pace than exports. Spain is clearly rebalancing the painful way. Looking ahead, we fear that things are likely to get worse before they get better,” Mr. van Vliet said in a client note, according to WSJ.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased .23 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) declined .82 percent. Despite the slight gains in the spot price for gold, gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) both fell about .60 percent. Meanwhile, silver investments such as Silver Wheaton Corp. (NYSE:SLW) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) jumped .93 percent and 4.2 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Do Central Banks Still Love Gold?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on equity miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories