Libya's Ex-Prime Minister Found Dead In Danube River: Austrian Police
By J.J. McGrath | April 30, 2012 1:38 PM EST
Shukri Ghanem, a former prime minister and oil minister who served in Libya's government under the late Moammar Gadhafi, was discovered dead in the Danube River on Sunday, Austrian police told BBC News.
Libya's prime minister between 2003 and 2006 and its oil minister from 2006 to 2011, Ghanem worked as a consultant for a Vienna-based company, according to BBC News.
A police representative told the news agency there were no signs of violence on Ghanem's body, which was found in the river that flows through Vienna.
Ghanem, 69, defected from Libya during the civil war that toppled Gadhafi last year. At the time of his defection, he criticized the bloodshed in the country, saying the situation had become "unbearable," BBC News reported.
A postmortem examination has been ordered.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools