‘Battlefield 3’ Update Controversy: DICE Responds to Silence Enraged Fans
By Vinod Yalburgi | April 29, 2012 3:38 PM EST
DICE, the developers of "Battlefield 3" (BF3) have seen their game receive both acclaim and controversy, in equal measures, ever since it was launched six months ago. Since then nothing much seems to have changed in terms of recurring bugs and technical snags for the game's multiplayer campaign. The franchise has drawn more than a little flak, in recent time, with angry fans calling for a proper fix or patch for one of this year's biggest selling titles.
To begin with, the last update, released for all platforms, was supposedly the biggest on record (with a lengthy fix list) and addressing long-term problems. However, disgruntled fans seem to be perturbed with the recent changes - removing both bugs and exploits - and feel particularly, according to NowGamer, that the tweaks to game mechanics, in the new update, have created a whole new set of unwarranted issues.
Meanwhile, Battlefield 3 Executive Producer and acting DICE CEO Patrick Bach responded to criticism over the last BF3 patch in a recent interview, saying the game developer had to take all gamers into account and not just individuals.
"The biggest challenge when you release a big patch like this is to wait. Because we know that if you have a favourite gun that we have balanced down or you score in a certain way by doing certain things and then we nerfed that down then you will get upset, period," Bach told NowGamer. He further added that gamers' feedback was limited to their own performance in the game, which is an impossible approach for DICE.
"People do not care and they do not know about the big picture, but we do. Because we don't care about single individuals, we care about everyone. We try to make sure that everyone has a great time and that the balance is overarching. So we have a lot of statistics, we look at all the data and we try to listen to people and ask 'is this really an issue?' And in most of the cases it is not an issue," Bach added.
DICE is reportedly working on new ways to improve the game experience while evaluating the degree of certain issues faced by gamers.
""We get a lot of praise for it but the biggest problem is that the people that like it don't go on forums and write about it, they just keep playing," Bach asserted.
"We can see that our player numbers are going up as we speak because of the patch. It's not going down even though people say I'm not playing because of the patch... I think if people went back to the old patch now after a couple of weeks they would see the big differences. But then again it's not that it's hassle free, so of course we are looking into any real issues that we need to fix," said Bach, justifying DICE's new approach with the patch, according to Attack of the Fan Boy.
Meanwhile, DICE released gameplay footage from its Close Quarters DLC and reassured into fixing the problems with BF3 and release the new fixes for PS3 well before the expansions arrive.
Watch the Riveting Battlefield 3: Close Quarters Donya Fortress Gameplay Trailer Below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Rises Again Despite Bendgate, iOS 8 Bugs; Samsung Stock At Two-Year Low
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Ello Pegged As The Anti-Facebook Social Network
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate