Betsey Johnson Bankruptcy: Stores Close, 350 Expected To Lose Jobs Following Chapter 11
By Amanda Remling | April 28, 2012 4:35 AM EST
Fashion designer Betsey Johnson's licensing company, Betsey Johnson LLC has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Almost all of the designer's boutiques are expected to close, with estimated 350 staff members losing their jobs.
According to Forbes, the bankruptcy filing listed "severe liquidity problems" along with $4.1 million owed to vendors, manufacturers and more.
In 2010 Steve Madden bought Betsey Johnson LLC's outstanding debt (a reported $48 million loan), reported the Huffington Post. Since buying Betsey Johnson, Steve Madden has control over the label.
"While this particular licensee may be closing, the Betsey Johnson brand is stronger than ever, with a thriving wholesale business across a range of product categories," said Madden. "As the owners of the Betsey Johnson brand, we at Steve Madden remain firmly committed to Betsey Johnson -- the designer, her vision and our growing wholesale business -- which is up over 50 percent so far for 2012."
Steve Madden also assured customers that " existing orders will be produced and ship on time."
Stores will also continue carrying Betsey Johnson clothing. Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales and Nordstom's are among other stores that will still be selling the clothing.
Betsey Johnson, 69, expressed her concern over the filing. "I feel so sad for my store people and all my pink girls," said Johnson on Thursday. "They live and die for me. But I need to be better. I really need to work well and be more efficient."
Besides the filing, Johnson is ready to move forward. "I love our brand!" she said in a press statement. "As creative director, it's full speed ahead at Betsey."
It was revealed last week that Johnson will be appearing in a reality show on the Style Network with her daughter Lulu. No word on whether the show, entitled "Betsey + Lulu," will air the current financial problems.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’