Betsey Johnson Bankruptcy: Stores Close, 350 Expected To Lose Jobs Following Chapter 11
By Amanda Remling | April 28, 2012 4:35 AM EST
Fashion designer Betsey Johnson's licensing company, Betsey Johnson LLC has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Almost all of the designer's boutiques are expected to close, with estimated 350 staff members losing their jobs.
According to Forbes, the bankruptcy filing listed "severe liquidity problems" along with $4.1 million owed to vendors, manufacturers and more.
In 2010 Steve Madden bought Betsey Johnson LLC's outstanding debt (a reported $48 million loan), reported the Huffington Post. Since buying Betsey Johnson, Steve Madden has control over the label.
"While this particular licensee may be closing, the Betsey Johnson brand is stronger than ever, with a thriving wholesale business across a range of product categories," said Madden. "As the owners of the Betsey Johnson brand, we at Steve Madden remain firmly committed to Betsey Johnson -- the designer, her vision and our growing wholesale business -- which is up over 50 percent so far for 2012."
Steve Madden also assured customers that " existing orders will be produced and ship on time."
Stores will also continue carrying Betsey Johnson clothing. Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales and Nordstom's are among other stores that will still be selling the clothing.
Betsey Johnson, 69, expressed her concern over the filing. "I feel so sad for my store people and all my pink girls," said Johnson on Thursday. "They live and die for me. But I need to be better. I really need to work well and be more efficient."
Besides the filing, Johnson is ready to move forward. "I love our brand!" she said in a press statement. "As creative director, it's full speed ahead at Betsey."
It was revealed last week that Johnson will be appearing in a reality show on the Style Network with her daughter Lulu. No word on whether the show, entitled "Betsey + Lulu," will air the current financial problems.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report