Betsey Johnson Bankruptcy: Stores Close, 350 Expected To Lose Jobs Following Chapter 11
By Amanda Remling | April 28, 2012 4:35 AM EST
Fashion designer Betsey Johnson's licensing company, Betsey Johnson LLC has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Almost all of the designer's boutiques are expected to close, with estimated 350 staff members losing their jobs.
According to Forbes, the bankruptcy filing listed "severe liquidity problems" along with $4.1 million owed to vendors, manufacturers and more.
In 2010 Steve Madden bought Betsey Johnson LLC's outstanding debt (a reported $48 million loan), reported the Huffington Post. Since buying Betsey Johnson, Steve Madden has control over the label.
"While this particular licensee may be closing, the Betsey Johnson brand is stronger than ever, with a thriving wholesale business across a range of product categories," said Madden. "As the owners of the Betsey Johnson brand, we at Steve Madden remain firmly committed to Betsey Johnson -- the designer, her vision and our growing wholesale business -- which is up over 50 percent so far for 2012."
Steve Madden also assured customers that " existing orders will be produced and ship on time."
Stores will also continue carrying Betsey Johnson clothing. Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales and Nordstom's are among other stores that will still be selling the clothing.
Betsey Johnson, 69, expressed her concern over the filing. "I feel so sad for my store people and all my pink girls," said Johnson on Thursday. "They live and die for me. But I need to be better. I really need to work well and be more efficient."
Besides the filing, Johnson is ready to move forward. "I love our brand!" she said in a press statement. "As creative director, it's full speed ahead at Betsey."
It was revealed last week that Johnson will be appearing in a reality show on the Style Network with her daughter Lulu. No word on whether the show, entitled "Betsey + Lulu," will air the current financial problems.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock EPS Raised to $7.67 Per Share; Apple Pay Could Be Promising in Australia
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date