Another Squeeze in Euro
By Jay Norris, Professor | April 26, 2012 6:04 AM EST
Over the course of any bear market the occasional short squeeze is expected. A "short squeeze" is when a market that is in a long-term down-trend turns higher and trades thru that price point where the majority of short-term traders have sold at. As price continues higher it "squeezes" the weaker short-position holders out of their positions. And just as predictable is the howling from the squeeze victims of unfair play and outright manipulation on behalf of "quants" or "hedge funds" or even "central bankers". Of course this is kind of silly because when it comes to free markets there really are no rules limiting who can buy or sell or how much, because, they're free. Of course central bankers are trying to game hedge funds who are in turn trying to trim black boxes, prop and retail traders.
The Euro however, has seen an abnormally large amount of short-squeezes for a bear market. Today's latest squeeze occurred in not just the euro but in U.S. stock indices following today's U.S. Federal Open Market Committee statement and press conference. The knee-jerk reaction was lower as bears who didn't want to miss any sell-off increase short bets, only to have price find support, turn higher, and start the familiar squeeze pattern with price grinding higher - see chart.
Traders in-step with the current "squeeze play" pattern are likely in a good position to set up shorts at resistance above between approximately 132.50 up to 133.25. Seeing how market price behaves in the context of fundamental developments and current price pattern validates one of the tenets we teach at IBUniversity.com, which is look to sell following rallies in a downtrend. For all the short squeezes in the Euro over the last year, it is still a bear.
Trading involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors!
Join the Conversation
- Russia, South Africa Sign US$50B (A$54.1B) Nuclear Deal
- Roubini Global Economics Forecasts 20% Decline In Value Of Aussie Dollar, Economic Slowdown
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 23, 2014
- Global Markets Overview – September 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 23, 2014
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed