I'm Alive: Hugo Chavez Calls Venezuelan TV Station To Declare Himself Among The Living
By Palash R. Ghosh | April 24, 2012 6:01 AM EST
The reports of his demise were apparently greatly exaggerated.
"It seems we will have to become accustomed to live with these rumors, because it is part of the laboratories of psychological war, of dirty war," Chavez told the station.
Reuters reported that (prior to his phone call to the TV station) over the past nine days that he had been in Havana, Chavez -- whose health has long been a concern -- had sent only two messages on Twitter, an unusually lengthy period of silence for such a talkative leader.
Moreover, neither Venezuelan nor Cuban media have released any recent photos of the socialist leader as they have during his previous jaunts to Havana.
He also tweeted: “And soon they will see me again!”
Chavez has almost 3 million followers on his Twitter account.
Venezuela is also preparing for a presidential election in October – a poll which Chavez has vowed to win. The 57-year-old leader has served as president of Venezuela for 13 years and wants another six-year term.
Henrique Capriles, the leading presidential candidate for the opposition, has again criticized Chavez for running the country from Havana and for not disclosing the full nature and extent of his illness.
"Governing by Twitter, approving laws by Twitter without consulting anybody, is an insult to our people. The country's problems cannot be resolved by Twitter," Capriles said.
Chavez remains popular with much of the Venezuelan public, particularly the poor. The latest polls indicate he enjoys a nearly 20 percent advantage over Capriles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- Dead Heart Beats Again, Doctors Use It For Transplant – A World’s First For Australia
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation