I'm Alive: Hugo Chavez Calls Venezuelan TV Station To Declare Himself Among The Living
By Palash R. Ghosh | April 24, 2012 6:01 AM EST
The reports of his demise were apparently greatly exaggerated.
"It seems we will have to become accustomed to live with these rumors, because it is part of the laboratories of psychological war, of dirty war," Chavez told the station.
Reuters reported that (prior to his phone call to the TV station) over the past nine days that he had been in Havana, Chavez -- whose health has long been a concern -- had sent only two messages on Twitter, an unusually lengthy period of silence for such a talkative leader.
Moreover, neither Venezuelan nor Cuban media have released any recent photos of the socialist leader as they have during his previous jaunts to Havana.
He also tweeted: “And soon they will see me again!”
Chavez has almost 3 million followers on his Twitter account.
Venezuela is also preparing for a presidential election in October – a poll which Chavez has vowed to win. The 57-year-old leader has served as president of Venezuela for 13 years and wants another six-year term.
Henrique Capriles, the leading presidential candidate for the opposition, has again criticized Chavez for running the country from Havana and for not disclosing the full nature and extent of his illness.
"Governing by Twitter, approving laws by Twitter without consulting anybody, is an insult to our people. The country's problems cannot be resolved by Twitter," Capriles said.
Chavez remains popular with much of the Venezuelan public, particularly the poor. The latest polls indicate he enjoys a nearly 20 percent advantage over Capriles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV/AIDS Cure a Step Closer with Anti-Cancer Drugs 'Kicking' Virus Out of Infected Cells
- 232 Teeth Extracted from a Teenager: World Record
- Heart Diseases Can Be Healed with Fat: Study Says
- Dwayne Johnson Talks About Overcoming Depression
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Agrees To Pay $190 Million To Settle Gynaecology Scandal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon