I'm Alive: Hugo Chavez Calls Venezuelan TV Station To Declare Himself Among The Living
By Palash R. Ghosh | April 24, 2012 6:01 AM EST
The reports of his demise were apparently greatly exaggerated.
"It seems we will have to become accustomed to live with these rumors, because it is part of the laboratories of psychological war, of dirty war," Chavez told the station.
Reuters reported that (prior to his phone call to the TV station) over the past nine days that he had been in Havana, Chavez -- whose health has long been a concern -- had sent only two messages on Twitter, an unusually lengthy period of silence for such a talkative leader.
Moreover, neither Venezuelan nor Cuban media have released any recent photos of the socialist leader as they have during his previous jaunts to Havana.
He also tweeted: “And soon they will see me again!”
Chavez has almost 3 million followers on his Twitter account.
Venezuela is also preparing for a presidential election in October – a poll which Chavez has vowed to win. The 57-year-old leader has served as president of Venezuela for 13 years and wants another six-year term.
Henrique Capriles, the leading presidential candidate for the opposition, has again criticized Chavez for running the country from Havana and for not disclosing the full nature and extent of his illness.
"Governing by Twitter, approving laws by Twitter without consulting anybody, is an insult to our people. The country's problems cannot be resolved by Twitter," Capriles said.
Chavez remains popular with much of the Venezuelan public, particularly the poor. The latest polls indicate he enjoys a nearly 20 percent advantage over Capriles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: Ebola Spreads Through Sneeze and Cough Droplets And Toilet Seats
- New Zealand Develops New Drug To Fight 'Superbugs'
- Australia Does Not Have Ebola Drug ZMapp And That Is Alright, Experts Say
- New Zealand PM Calls Homeopathic Remedy For Ebola 'Barking Mad'
- Australia In Talks With Gates Foundation For Possible Ebola Vaccine Extracted From Survivors
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists