IPad Ranked As Most-Used Mobile Device: Will Apple Maintain Top Spot With iPad Mini? [REPORT]
By Lisa Eadicicco | April 22, 2012 9:11 AM EST
Because of its wide array of associated products, Android appears to be the most popular mobile-device platform when it comes to selling gadgets. In terms of usage, however, Apple's iOS comes out on top, according to a new study released by Chitika.
Research tools were used to track usage in real-time, and they reveal consumers in the U.S. are more active on Apple devices than on any other. The data were published on Saturday, and they show that, in the previous 24 hours, iOS devices including the iPhone, iPad, and iPod accounted for almost 68 percent of all the usage on Chitika's online advertising network. In contrast, Android accounted for less than 28 percent. Other platforms, such as Windows and BlackBerry, ranked at less than 5 percent.
The advertisement network's research broke the numbers down even further, specifying that most traffic comes from iPad tablets. According to Chitika, users browsing apps and websites where its ads are displayed come from iPad owners more so than from iPhone or iPod users.
The Chitika chart, titled "U.S. Mobile Traffic Share By Hour," color-codes the different operating systems with green representing Android, blue symbolizing iOS, and orange signifying other devices. The graphic is largely dominated by blue, with different shades representing iPads, iPhones, and iPods. It looks like the iPad accounts for nearly 50 percent of the total traffic, according to the chart.
This isn't the first time that Chitika has looked into the iPad's usage. On Friday, the company found that users of iPads had the highest click-through rates.
"This is actually a pretty interesting bit of data for the world of mobile advertising and mobile content in general," wrote Tech Crunch's Ingrid Lunden. "It potentially gives ad networks, and advertisers, a lot more insight into planning campaigns on one platform versus another and one device versus another."
This number is sure to increase as Apple plans to unveil its next-generation smartphone, the iPhone 5, and a rumored iPad Mini. No official release date has been revealed for either of these gadgets, but the iPhone 5 can be expected to launch in June or October, according to reports.
Sterne Agee analyst Shaw Wu said the release of a new iPad is a "question of when, not if," Tech Radar reported, referring to the rumored mini tablet. The resolution is said to be 1,024 X 768, but nothing has been officially confirmed.
"With every iPad at the same resolution, app developers wouldn't have to update their products for the new iPad," wrote Tech Radar's Michael Rougeau.
The iPhone 5 is said to be Apple's first LTE-enabled smartphone, and it is expected to ramp up sales figures for the company. Apple's fourth-quarter earning report indicated that sales fell short of its goal of 17.07 million units, but this can surely be attributed to anticipation surrounding the iPhone 5.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales