Kimberly-Clark 1Q Profits, Sales Rise On Overseas Gains
By Joseph Orovic | April 21, 2012 6:26 AM EST
Kimberly-Clark Corp. (NYSE: KMB), which makes Scott brand tissues, reported on Friday an increase in revenue and profits in its first quarter as cost-cutting and a boost in overseas sales made up for slow growth in the domestic market.
The Dallas, Texas, company's net income rose 30.9 percent in the quarter ended March 31, to $487 million, or $1.18 per share, from $372 million, or 86 cents per share, in the same quarter last year.
The results fell short of analysts' estimates of $492 million in net income, or $1.24 per share, according to Reuters consensus figures.
Operating income was $700 million, up 29 percent from $544 million in 2011. Excluding one-time charges, operating income was $735 million.
Net sales rose 4.2 percent, to $5.24 billion from $5.03 billion in the year-earlier period. U.S. sales rose 1 percent.
The company doubled-down on trimming operations, shedding $60 million in costs. Sales in Europe were better than expected, increasing 4 percent.
Low birth rates in the developed world put a damper on sales of Huggies diapers.
Kimberly-Clark maintained its earnings forecast of $5 to $5.15 a share for 2012, excluding restructuring costs.
The company's shares were up $1.21 to $76.48 in late afternoon trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS