Central Bank Gold Purchases to Remain High, Says Barclays
By jturbin | April 21, 2012 2:46 AM EST
There is unlikely to be a “slowing down” of gold buying by central banks as significant economic uncertainty remains for the foreseeable future – according to Jon Spall, director of precious metals sales at Barclays.
In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Spall discussed his outlook for the gold market in light of the weakness it has experienced in recent months. Highlights from the interview included:
Gold prices seem to have stabilized a bit this year after last year’s bull run. How do you see the metal performing this year?
Basically gold is an anti-government trade. People are buying gold right now because it’s an uncertainty-hedge, it’s not really about inflation or deflation. What we’re seeing more of this year is the theme that central banks and governments might be getting more in control of events…so people are more relaxed. And that’s why gold has come off a bit this year. People are hoping that’s the end of the problems.
Do you expect central banks, which were big buyers of gold last year, to continue buying it this year?
I think it will continue. If we had this conversation back in 2000 or something , when gold was at about $250 an ounce, and tried to guess what would happen if gold went up seven times, [we would have thought] all the European central banks would be really keen to sell at that price…India and China too…but of course the reverse has happened. So I don’t see any slowing down in that sense.
One of the things people tell you is that gold is an inflation hedge. But it’s actually an uncertainty hedge, a hedge against government. In that sense, gold has far more to do with people not understanding what is going on around them and want something to protect them against it. Central banks are not immune to that sort of sensation.
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance