Pakistan Plane Crash Kills 127
By Alberto Riva | April 21, 2012 1:39 AM EST
A Boeing 737 belonging to Pakistani airline Bhoja Airlines has crashed Friday near the city of Rawalpindi, according to Pakistani media. The Pakistani Defence Ministry has confirmed the accident. Express News reports that according to a police official there were 127 passengers and crew on board, and rescuers said that nobody has survived. Earlier reports indicated that there were 122 people on board.
Flight B4 213 was en route from Karachi, Pakistan's biggest city, to the capital Islamabad in the north of the country. It was expected at 6:40pm local time, reported Pakistan's Geo News.
Air traffic control did not report receiving any distress calls from the plane, which went down in bad weather moments before landing, 10 km (6 miles) from the Islamabad airport. Authorities haven't indicated a possible cause for the crash.
Bhoja Airlines is a small airline operating a handful of Boeing 737 jets of the older 200 and 400 series, no longer produced by Boeing.
The airline's website states that Bhoja was founded in 1993 and restarted operations recently after being grounded for some time.
.According to airline fleet tracking site CH Aviation, Bhoja has four 737-200 aircraft, originally belonging to British Airways, and one 737-400 that used to fly with German airline Lufthansa. All five planes are at least 20 years old. According to several aviation sites, the aircraft that crashed was a 737-200 built in 1980.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans