Dick Clark Dies: Greatest Quotes From Legendary TV Host
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | April 19, 2012 6:25 AM EST
Dick Clark, the famous TV personality and host of "New Year's Rockin' Eve," died at the age of 82 from a massive heart attack early Wednesday morning.
Clark's representatives have told TMZ that the iconic host had been in St. John's Hospital in Los Angeles undergoing an outpatient procedure Tuesday night. He reportedly suffered a massive heart attack following the procedure, and attempts to resuscitate him failed.
Clark suffered a significant stroke in 2004 that forced him to retire from his hosting duties at "New Year's Rockin' Eve," which began in 1972. Ryan Seacrest took over Clark's duties in 2006. Clark occasionally appeared on the show for brief moments since retiring.
Clark also revealed that he had been suffering Type 2 diabetes in a Larry King interview. Clark is survived by his wife Kari Wigton and three children from his first two marriages.
Clark was best known for his charismatic personality and his incredible hosting abilities. He was featured on several television shows through the years including "American Bandstand" and "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve." He appeared on ABC's "New Year's Rockin' Eve" in 2011 for a brief moment just minutes before the ball dropped in Times Square.
As part of an homage to the well-loved television host, we're taking a look back at some of the best quotes from Dick Clark.
"Music is the soundtrack of your life."
"It's real good to be back with you again this year."
"Well, I'm using a cane, so what? So what if they shot me sitting in a wheelchair? That's life!"
"Humor is always based on a modicum of truth. Have you ever heard a joke about a father-in-law?"
"The problem is when you try to impose today's standards on people living back then. It's the politically correct thing to do, but it was a different era, a different country then."
"If you want to stay young-looking, pick your parents very carefully."
"I don't set trends. I just find out what they are and exploit them."
"We are pleased to be at the forefront in producing what has become the fastest-growing leisure sport activity in the world ... We look forward to taking the tiger by the tail and moving this marketing phenomenon to the next level -- television."
"Last year I had a stroke. It left me in bad shape. I had to teach myself how to walk and talk all over again. It was a long hard fight. My speech is not perfect but I'm getting there."
"If our lawmakers are to effectively address immigration, international trade, the war on terror and other pressing matters, an understanding of the peoples of the world is vital."
"It will be good to be back in New York again for New Year's, and I'm elated that Ryan has agreed to join me in ushering in New Year's on America's favorite holiday special."
"You didn't tell me what I was getting into."
"It's real good to be back with you again this year. You and I have been a part of each other's lives for so many New Year's Eves that I wouldn't have missed this for the world."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Captain America 3’: Red Skull Returns, Greater Villains Added
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged