Dick Clark Dies: Greatest Quotes From Legendary TV Host
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | April 19, 2012 6:25 AM EST
Dick Clark, the famous TV personality and host of "New Year's Rockin' Eve," died at the age of 82 from a massive heart attack early Wednesday morning.
Clark's representatives have told TMZ that the iconic host had been in St. John's Hospital in Los Angeles undergoing an outpatient procedure Tuesday night. He reportedly suffered a massive heart attack following the procedure, and attempts to resuscitate him failed.
Clark suffered a significant stroke in 2004 that forced him to retire from his hosting duties at "New Year's Rockin' Eve," which began in 1972. Ryan Seacrest took over Clark's duties in 2006. Clark occasionally appeared on the show for brief moments since retiring.
Clark also revealed that he had been suffering Type 2 diabetes in a Larry King interview. Clark is survived by his wife Kari Wigton and three children from his first two marriages.
Clark was best known for his charismatic personality and his incredible hosting abilities. He was featured on several television shows through the years including "American Bandstand" and "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve." He appeared on ABC's "New Year's Rockin' Eve" in 2011 for a brief moment just minutes before the ball dropped in Times Square.
As part of an homage to the well-loved television host, we're taking a look back at some of the best quotes from Dick Clark.
"Music is the soundtrack of your life."
"It's real good to be back with you again this year."
"Well, I'm using a cane, so what? So what if they shot me sitting in a wheelchair? That's life!"
"Humor is always based on a modicum of truth. Have you ever heard a joke about a father-in-law?"
"The problem is when you try to impose today's standards on people living back then. It's the politically correct thing to do, but it was a different era, a different country then."
"If you want to stay young-looking, pick your parents very carefully."
"I don't set trends. I just find out what they are and exploit them."
"We are pleased to be at the forefront in producing what has become the fastest-growing leisure sport activity in the world ... We look forward to taking the tiger by the tail and moving this marketing phenomenon to the next level -- television."
"Last year I had a stroke. It left me in bad shape. I had to teach myself how to walk and talk all over again. It was a long hard fight. My speech is not perfect but I'm getting there."
"If our lawmakers are to effectively address immigration, international trade, the war on terror and other pressing matters, an understanding of the peoples of the world is vital."
"It will be good to be back in New York again for New Year's, and I'm elated that Ryan has agreed to join me in ushering in New Year's on America's favorite holiday special."
"You didn't tell me what I was getting into."
"It's real good to be back with you again this year. You and I have been a part of each other's lives for so many New Year's Eves that I wouldn't have missed this for the world."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch