Roche Walks Away From $6.8B Illumina Takeover Bid
By Moran Zhang | April 19, 2012 2:00 AM EST
Swiss drugmaker Roche Holding AG (ROG.VX) said Wednesday that it decided not to extend beyond Friday a $6.8 billion hostile offer for gene sequencing specialist Illumina Inc. (Nasdaq: ILMN) after determining that the incumbent directors of Illumina will be re-elected.
"We do not believe that a price above Roche's offer for Illumina of $51 per share would be in the interest of Roche's shareholders," Roche Chief Executive Severin Schwan said in a statement.
Roche, the world's biggest maker of cancer drugs, is targeting to expand the market share of its diagnostic products by taking over Illumina. Roche started an offer to acquire the San Diego company's shares for $44.50 each in January. It then raised that to $51 last month.
Roche's offer values the gene-sequencing company at about 88 percent above its closing share price on Dec. 21, when rumors about a potential bid first surfaced. The offer expires Friday at 6 p.m. New York time, Roche said.
Illumina, which has branded itself "the Apple of the genomics business", has rejected Roche's sweetened takeover offer and had repeatedly urged shareholders to vote against Roche's nominees to its board.
Illumina believes the offer is undervaluing its "extraordinary" growth prospects, while Roche has called its bid "full, fair and extremely attractive."
Roche had moved to force Illumina into negotiations by starting a proxy fight to gain control of the San Diego-based company's board, but failed when shareholders backed all four of Illumina's nominees to the board, based on preliminary estimates at the company's annual meeting in New York. Illumina shareholders also rejected Roche's attempt to expand Illumina's board to 11 from nine members.
In view of the "apparent" results, Roche announced it is officially walking away on its own terms.
"Roche will continue to consider options and opportunities to develop further its portfolio of businesses in order to expand its diagnostics leadership position," CEO Severin Schwan said.
Ilumina shares fell as much as 8.3 percent in Wednesday's morning trading, before closing up 1.16 percent, to $44.51 a share, while Roche gained 0.93 percent to $44.47.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Hungry Jack’s Joins McDonald’s Australia Monopoly Campaign With McOpoly Promo
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Surge Expected Soon as Analysts Predict iPhone Opening Weekend Sales
- Furore Over Facebook Mark Zuckerberg $10m Fortress In San Francisco
- Alibaba Sells Extra Shares; IPO Raises $25B, Breaks Global Record
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4