Why Women Who Give Birth After 45 Live Longer
By Mother Nature Network | April 17, 2012 10:54 AM EST
Potentially good news for any woman who has received a "Dangers of Childbirth After 35" article snipped from the newspaper and sent in the mail from her grandchild-starved mother: Israeli scientists have found that a number of women who give birth after 45 live longer than other women.
The researchers at Hadassah University Hospital, Ein Karem, discovered at least four genes that have a surprising impact on women who conceive naturally after 45; the genes generate an anti-aging effect. The findings were the result of a genetic study of ultra-Orthodox Ashkenazi women from Mea She'arim.
Lead researcher, Neri Laufer, the chairman of Hadassah's obstetrics and gynecology department, noted that, "Finding genes identified with the ability to conceive spontaneously at a late age can help us identify more women who carry these genes and are unaware of the possibility of conceiving at a late age," he said.
"We also hope it will enable developing medical treatments that activate the genetic quality we identified in other women." The DNA findings, which were recently reported at a Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society conference, could lead to innovative treatments that could help "rejuvenate the body" of women and men, said Laufer.
Meanwhile in the quest for the fountain of life (and the corresponding financial bonanza for the pharmaceutical company that can bottle it), the Longevity Genes Project at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx is trying to find whether people who live with good health into their 90s and past 100 have something in common - and if so, can it be employed for others? And indeed, they have so far identified or corroborated at least seven associative markers that correlate with longevity.
In an interesting twist, the Bronx project's main test group, a cohort of 540 "SuperAgers," consists entirely of Ashkenazic Jews, as did the pregnancy study.
There must be something in the water. Or at least the genes.
Join the Conversation
- Using Hand Dryers in Public Restrooms Could Spread Germs
- HIV Cure: Modified Gene Therapy Causing Resistance And Mysterious Enzyme Could Unlock Effective Treatment
- Text Neck Causes More Harm Than You Think
- Beating Postnatal Depression Is Just A Phone Call Away
- Kourtney Kardashian Thinks Pregnancy Nausea Should Not Be Called 'Morning Sickness' Because It Lasts All Day
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James