Summer Music Festivals 2012: Concerts Flying Under The Radar
By Carey Vanderborg | April 17, 2012 6:55 AM EST
With so many 2012 Summer Music Festivals making headlines, live music fans tend to forget about some of the other music gatherings that fly under the radar next to the Coachella's and Bonnaroo's.
Tucked away in some of the country's most scenic national parks and mountain resorts, these under-the-radar summer music festivals make for some of the best outdoor experiences you and your friends could possibly have in the coming months.
From the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas to the private camping grounds of Quincy, Calif., these fairgrounds specialize in playing host to popular summer activities such as swimming, biking, fishing, hiking and even some golfing. Of course, who could forget about all of the great music that comes with a weekend stay at one of these memorable summer music festivals.
High Sierra 2012 (July 5-8)
Located in the picturesque Feather River Canyon in Quincy, Calif., High Sierra Music Festival always draws great musicians to its annual lineup. With its rugged canyons, crystal clear lakes, trout-filled streams, and fresh pine forests, festival-goers can enjoy scenic mountain and road bicycling, swimming in area lakes and rivers, and amazing live music performances. Appearing at this year's High Sierra Music Festival is Ben Harper, STS9, Railroad Earth, Glalactic, Built To Spill, and many more! For more information on High Sierra and the Plumas-Sierra County Fairgrounds, check out the High Sierra official website.
Wakarusa 2012 (May 31 - June 3)
Wakarusa Music Festival is in its fourth year on Mulberry Mountain in Ozark, Ark. With a lineup attracting over 100 world-class musicians such as Pretty Lights, Primus, Big Gigantic, Slightly Stoopid, and many others, the music festival is home to an equally artist-filled fan base. Wakarusa is known to play host to a wide range of different weekend activities such as a costume contest and parade, morning yoga, drum circles, an on-site Ferris wheel and even a huge blow-up water slide. The annual weekend is also a popular market destination for hundreds of vendors as they flock to the grounds to sell different types of unique arts and crafts. For more information on daily activities and camping regulations, check out the Wakarusa official website.
Peach Music Festival 2012 (Aug, 10 - 12)
The Peach Music Festival is the very first music festival brought to you by legendary blues/rock performers, The Allman Brothers Band. While the actual shows will take place at the Toyota Pavilion at Montage Mountain, the camping grounds are located in Scranton, Pa. As the festival is in its first running, the hangout scene has yet to be established. What is for certain, is the talented artist lineup that has already been released. The Allman Brothers Band, Zac Brown Band, O.A.R. and Warren Haynes Band are among the headlining performers at the first annual Peach Music Festival. For more information on transportation and shuttles to and from the venue, check out the Peach Music Festival official website.
Wanderlust 2012 (Various Dates)
Located at the Copper Mountain Resort in Copper, Colo., Wanderlust brings together the world's leading yoga teachers, top musical acts and DJs, renowned speakers, top chefs and winemakers, and much, much more -- all in a setting of breathtaking natural beauty. Copper Mountain Resort offers up the perfect scene for hiking, swimming, and tasty meals with views of the surrounding mountain peaks. This year's lineup includes performances by Ziggy Marley, Gramatik, Beats Antique, and even a "Speakeasy" session with Aron Ralston. Ralston was the inspiration for "127 Hours," the major-motion-picture adaptation of his book, directed by Danny Boyle and starring James Franco. For more information on Wanderlust's other locations and a full lineup of artists, check out the Wanderlust official website.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Putin’s Daughter Flees The Netherlands Amid Dutch Fury Over Death of 195 Countrymen
- MH370: Police Dragged and Punched Families of Victims
- Armageddon Nears as River Turns Bloody Red in Wenzhou, Locals Believe
- Pm Abbott Goes Nuts over MH17 Mission
- MH17: Teen Brags about Mascara Looted from Victim
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide